Jimbooo's Jungle Journal 2 (rio 180 - 40g)

IMO, you're not too far off the standard of that 1st tank, Jim. Now, i don't know what criteria are used in the judging etc, but on a purely aesthetic level, I think i prefer yours.
I reckon with some structured planning you could do it.... I can't believe your tank ended up looking like that just by moving stuff around!

Andy

10000K will penetrate deeper but in the relative shallows of an aquarium the difference will be negligable. I doubt 10000K will have much difference to 7500K - it is intensity that's the key, not colour temp. 10000K is not necessarily more intense than 7500K, just a different colour, probably more blue than green.

As I have stated in my articles, colour temp. becomes less relevant when you have enough physical light (& CO2 etc.) and therefore growth. It is more a matter of personal preference i.e. what shows off your tank the best for you. It is your healthy, growing plants that are preventing the algae, not tube choice.

Your tank wees all over the second UK AGA entrant IMO.

whoohoo, thats what i thought but that first one is something else. the funniest part is his dosing schedule. lol

"occasional use of kent ferts when the plants need it" or something like that. ha ha.

the 10,000K looks aweful, really washed out look i was just using it for the glosso. i may just leave it in till i get the new tubes but thought i'd mention it to you anyway.

IMO, you're not too far off the standard of that 1st tank, Jim. Now, i don't know what criteria are used in the judging etc, but on a purely aesthetic level, I think i prefer yours.
I reckon with some structured planning you could do it.... I can't believe your tank ended up looking like that just by moving stuff around!

Andy

thanks andy, i cant believe you prefer mine over the first one. awesome.
planning isn't my strong point, trial and error are my favoured methods!! and as i cant stop fiddling with things it works for me. you need to know when to leave it alone though there is a line so to speak.

I think i adopt the same methods, Jim....your trial and error just seems to be better than mine! :)
Secretly, i'm just jealous of your Glosso.... ;)

planning isn't my strong point, trial and error are my favoured methods
Lol couldn't put it better myself. I thought I was the only one still using this method :D
Love this tank bud the colours are spectacular.

jimbooo you are easily talented and experienced enough to do something really good for a competition, i bet you could easily surpass the tank you prefer (tank no 1) if you put your mind to it.

RYO should think about it as well *Hint Hint*

jimboo you just have to submit a set of photos with your entry and the spec of course etc etc. but the main point is that the tank could be totally stripped down by the time the competition deadline passes and the judges look at your photos. Some people will submit multiple entries of the same tank with totally different setups that they have done during the year. The competition also has different catagories not just for tank size but for the likes of biotopes or nature tanks there might even be a catagory for Dutch style tanks, just check the website.

thanks guys, i didn't realise you could use old pics but i suppose they have no way of telling the date the pic was taken, i'll definatly give it some serious thought. thanks for the votes of confidence.

i see so you can take your pick of all the photo's on your hard drive and submitt the best or the collection. never thought of it like that. right i'll take the bait then, whens the deadline the cube tank is really taking off and will soon overtake the other 2. it's really starting to come together but is going to take at least 6 months till it's finished (well till this plans finished anyway)

I think there might be a limit on the amount of pics you submit and also a minimum, there would be no point in submitting dozens of pics, but i think what you can do is submit more pics after you have entered up to a certain cutoff date, but these would really only be appropriate if you have made major changes.

Good to see another quality journal James.

Do you have any long-term plans, any end "vision" as it were?

I would be great to see another UK entrant in next year's AGA, you ceratainly have the tools and skills my friend. I think there was only two UK entrants this year - both in the x-large catergory.

This being the strongest UK contender IMO
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005...y=0&vol=3&id=98

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005...=0&vol=3&id=116

George...spot on...as usual. I think the above tank is a very strong contender, the guy said he had modelled the aquascape on a cornish hedgerow. It's something I have been doing a lot, actually taking pictures of patches of ground and grass to see how the different plants fit in with each other, and this guy, Chris Jackson has hit the nail right on the head. His tank is very overgrown but I can't deny I'm really impressed with it, I like the way he's mixed plants together to create a less uniform look. It's probably one of my fave tanks from the list I guess because it's pretty unique and a good representation of nature.

10000K will penetrate deeper but in the relative shallows of an aquarium the difference will be negligable. I doubt 10000K will have much difference to 7500K - it is intensity that's the key, not colour temp. 10000K is not necessarily more intense than 7500K, just a different colour, probably more blue than green.

As I have stated in my articles, colour temp. becomes less relevant when you have enough physical light (& CO2 etc.) and therefore growth. It is more a matter of personal preference i.e. what shows off your tank the best for you. It is your healthy, growing plants that are preventing the algae, not tube choice.

Colour temperature has nothing to do with intensity as already mentioned. It's just purely the colour of the light being produced. 6500k is good for freswater tanks becuase it represents slight overcast as would be found with overhanging trees etc. Marine tanks use 10000k as this represents full sun.

955.jpg

(well 'til this plan's finished anyway)
So you have a plan after all?

well kinda. i suppose theyre 2 month plans ie i do a massive prune, shove some things about and plan to leave it till it grows out then assess the situation and tweak the plan again.

i'm not the type to draw out layout plans with keys etc.. by the time i had written it i would have changed my mind.

this may sound odd but i think of my tanks like big PC strategy games you know those 2nd world war games that take a year to finish.

the plants are the good guys the algae the bad guys and the finished tank the end goal. you cant just blitz the enemy in one go. it doesn't work that way. you make an initial plan, complete that. make another plan, fail at that, think of a new idea, give that a go, see it works. make a new plan for the next stage. blah blah... it goes on forever.

i actually would hate to say "my tanks finished" theres no fun in a finished tank. the fun is trying to get it there, failing and trying again.

whats the pink plant with big leafs

Tiger Lotus Lillys

Colour temperature has nothing to do with intensity as already mentioned. It's just purely the colour of the light being produced. 6500k is good for freswater tanks becuase it represents slight overcast as would be found with overhanging trees etc. Marine tanks use 10000k as this represents full sun.

955.jpg

doh, i knew that already but had forgotten. thanks for that chart, very useful

the 10,000K is only in there short term till i buy some more tubes. they'll go soon after christmas

time for an update. the riccia is filling out well, all hairnets are now conceled and the "lawn" is coming on nicely.

rflu1.jpg

rflu2.jpg

rflu3.jpg

rflu4.jpg

dwarf riccia's slower growing but definatly getting there
driccia1.jpg

and some of tom. my gibbeceps sailfin "King of the tank"

sulking and after another algae wafer!!
sailfintom1.jpg

happier now
sailfintom2.jpg

Most reactions