Jimbooo's Jungle Journal 2 (rio 180 - 40g)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jimbooo

James flexton
Reaction score
Hi again, right time for tank 2's journal, my Juwel Rio 180 bought in December 04.

After all the fun I had with the Rekord 60 and with plant cuttings coming out of my ears I thought a bigger tank was the obvious next step. I was getting frustrated with the lack of depth in the smaller tank and wanted to get some big swords growing.

The first layout was done just before I learned about all the extra hardwear needed (see rekord 60 journal for details) from gf225. Sods law, about a month after planting I pulled it all apart to add the laterite.

Here is the original layout

picture29.jpg

very soon after that (same time as adding laterite and CO2) I sorted the lighting

the standard lighting is 2 x 30W tubes a miserable 1.25 WPG. I added 2 more tubes to give me 2.5WPG

here's the lighting

Lighting.jpg

this next pic was taken a month after the upgrades, just look at the growth difference (sorry camera phone pic, pre digicam!)

40Gmarch05.jpg

the next few pics show the changes the tank has gone through since, I won’t comment on them all see for yourself

P1010034.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

40G01.jpg

40Gaug05.jpg

40Gfix.jpg

things got a little out of hand with the Riccia so to speak. this stuff just keeps on growing. :lol:

ricciamess.jpg

so that brings me up to last Saturday.

I had put if off for weeks but the Riccia really needed some desperate attention so at 10.30pm I started to pull the tank apart.

step by step (you can see the hours flying away as you go)

the first step pulling the Riccia out

40grebuild1.jpg

40grebuild2.jpg

40grebuild3.jpg

then after a good gravel vac (as I had the opportunity to see some of it!) comes the fun bit. putting the Riccia back together

for finer detail see my revised pinned riccia thread, i have added pics from this rebuild to illustrate the guide more clearly

so that brings us to about 3am with one big Riccia fluitians carpet in the left centre of the tank

pin9.jpg

there was still lots of open space in there which is never good in a planted tank in my opinion so I set to it repeating the process using dwarf Riccia on four pieces of slate.

5.30am and I was finished (in more ways than one :zz )

pin10.jpg

180cave.jpg

180rainbows.jpg

40grebuild5.jpg

insitu.jpg

Right, that’s it up to date and that last picture leads me nicely onto my next Journal, the 50G cube.

Why isn't anybody commenting on his tank. It's the most beautiful planted tank I have ever seen in my life. I might even say it's better than some of Amano's tanks :D

Isaac

Beautiful perfection!!

This is what I would like in my tank, just a little bigger.

How about you send me a mega pixel photo, then i can print them out & stik em on me tank in the meantime!

Still waiting for the tubes & reflectors for mine!!! :grr:

LookN Good Jimbooo!

My Riccia is growing quite large now too... and I grew another bunch of it with the floating airline circle idea, and just brought it down this last weekend to the left of the first bunch....
Ill have to take some new pics :)

Ahhh, my favorite of your three tanks! Was wondering when you were gonna reveal an updated photo. Looking great Jim.

Talking of riccia....................

I discovered by accident today a good fine mesh plastic net for planting etc...

It's those squishy scrunched up net things that your missus might use in the bathroom (they sell them cheaply in budget stores by the pack)

I was fiddling around with one while in the bath & if you undo the cord that holds them together they are a massive 6inch tube of net, ideal for alsorts of aquatic purposes!!!

I beleive Olay were the first ones to market these squishy net things as they make soap foam up like nobodys business!!

Good to see another quality journal James.

Do you have any long-term plans, any end "vision" as it were?

I would be great to see another UK entrant in next year's AGA, you ceratainly have the tools and skills my friend. I think there was only two UK entrants this year - both in the x-large catergory.

This being the strongest UK contender IMO
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005...y=0&vol=3&id=98

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005...=0&vol=3&id=116

thanks mate, no real long term plans, in fact i've never really had any plans at all i just keep moving stuff around till it looks right. LOL

i do want to let the back wall grow out some. the two swords took a major prune and need to be left alone for a few weeks to recouperate as does the ludwigia. i am going to change the tubes pretty soon, after christmas i think with 2 ADA NA Tubes, 1 of those cheapies from your link and a new dennerle special plant. the growth rate seems to have dropped off recently taking longer for the riccia to pearl up etc...

i have put a 10,000K marine white in there for now to help the glosso carpet. funny though i've seen no major effect on algae, i was expecting an explosion but not the case. i guess thats down to EI. (by the way i'm not advising everyone to put 10,000K's in their planted tank in theory it's incorrect lighting)

george: on that point theoretically should the 10,000K marine white be beneficial to the glosso over a 7500K freshwater for example. i was thinking along the lines of stronger light = deeper penetration.

so far the carpeting in the rio180 is slower than in the rekord 60 but every single plantlet is behaving. hugging the gavel very closely with no over lapping or leggy bits.

what are your thoughts?

thanks everyone else for the kind comments.

Littleimp: i know the things you are talking about. it's that fuzzy thing i slip up on when i get in the shower every morning... it may be a little too flexable for the task thats all. you really need something that you can pull the hairnet tight over, with a bit of rigidity. could be good for "advanced" aquascaping though. i'll bear it in mind. good idea

on the AGA front i'm a little hesitant. thanks for your confidence george but does my tank really come close to those two in the links? what do other people think (i'm not searching for praise here, serious question!)

the 2nd tank isn't out of reach and i think we'd both give that a run for it's money but that first one is awesome. i dont think my tank would get a look in against something like that..

so people, what do you think (and please be honest, i can take critisism so please feel free to give your initial thoughts and dont dress it up.) if you guys think it's a viable contender i'll pull my finger out and get planning.

Most reactions

Back