Jewel Vision 180 Reef Set Up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Those are weird readings. Why are you getting ammonia?

How much water do you usually change & what's your source?

Those are weird readings. Why are you getting ammonia?

How much water do you usually change & what's your source?
?
thats the minimum on the card its a see through colour which i assume means less than 25 to zero

Never seen that type of skimmer before Simon - how are you finding it? getting some nice gunk out of it yet?
i was pretty sceptical about it but to be fair its taking a load of gunk out

some long overdue pics which are actuakky a couple of weeks old

I bought a firefish a couple of weeks ago Im really happy with him he looks beautiful and quite active and feeding well
010-52.jpg

028-17.jpg

I also got a big Cataphyllia , read loads about these and the difficulties in keeping them, had it at least two weeks and for now it looks good and happy
006-71.jpg

023-23.jpg

My duncan although not so much in this pic looks well happier and im looking forward to that growing and showing more luminous green in it and the pervona which i love and looks cool in the flow the way it shimmers
019-27.jpg

020-31.jpg

015-44.jpg

013-45.jpg

032-9.jpg

Nice Elegance. Is it Austrailian or Indonesian? Mine's Austrailian.

I like firefish, yours looks great. :D

The corals look good, Si, the only real worry is the salinity. But check your refrractometer first. It may just need to be tightened. If it is accurate. Then just lower the salinity gradually. 1.025 or 1.026 is fine.

How much water do you change each week.

The tank looks great though! :good:

L

PS: you have not visited my tank journals lately. I'm sulking... :(

:lol:

Im only changing 20 litres per week I get it ready mixed, I need to sort my own salt out just got all kinds of things to pay for at the moment
The elegance is from my LFS :lol: Im not sure where from its pink tipped and bigger than those pics now, I love it got it for a song as well, Ive read how they are really difficult to keep though so we'll see how this one pans out

Looking good Simonas! I finally fed my baby duncans for the first time today, and they ate up the mysis very well. I love it! The elegance is very nice!

Well done, the tank is looking wonderful!

-Tyler

Looking good Simonas! I finally fed my baby duncans for the first time today, and they ate up the mysis very well. I love it! The elegance is very nice!

Well done, the tank is looking wonderful!

-Tyler

cheers Tyler its getting there, if i had some more cash at the moment Id have it looking better

the duncans feed great one of my favourite corals :good:

Hi Simon,

I would lower that salininty slowly just as mentioned by LLJ.

What brand of salt are you using? The 'no result' from the test kit points towards them both being very high. This could be as a result of dosing (which I assume you are not) or if you are using a high quality salt and doing frequent water changes and don't have too many 'hard' corals using up the ca and mg and have the salinity too high (I know that is a lot of ands!)

Hi Simon,

What brand of salt are you using? The 'no result' from the test kit points towards them both being very high. This could be as a result of dosing (which I assume you are not) or if you are using a high quality salt and doing frequent water changes and don't have too many 'hard' corals using up the ca and mg and have the salinity too high (I know that is a lot of ands!)

My favorite solution to this...

Get more coral. Unfortunately, he needs things that suck up calcium.

L

Hi Simon,

its shop mixed at the moment, once Im back in money in few weeks I'll invest in some salt and mix my own, also before I dilute with some RO which I have I need to check my refractometer

Check it against the RO, if it measures 0, then you're fine. If it doesn't, use the screw driver that comes with it to adjust it until testing with RO yields 0. Hopefully your RO is infact, RO. Others use a calibration solution of a known salinity. I never have. I probably should. :look:

L

well a couple of additions this weekend been a bit naughty if Im being honest but hey ho

Got a Malu anenome off a mate so havent paid for it, its very white which Im aware is a lack of Phyto or whatever its called
054-9.jpg

022-29.jpg

Now this is where I was naughty I got a maxima clam thats been in my LFS for a few weeks under lighting no stronger than what I have. Id love it to do well if it doesnt Ill hold my hands up for being foolish
026-24.jpg

023-24.jpg

I also got a fish I intended to add last a Flame angel this one had been in my LFS a while and was feeding well so got it today, beautiful fish but I;ll be keeping an eye out taht its good
053-8.jpg

The blenny is the first fish I got in December hes spot on darting in and out of the rock work and eating very well
035-11.jpg

spotted a mussel on my yellow polyps rock that opens and filter feeds I also removed a sun dial snail that had been on it for weeks , on a side note these are much happier out of the flow
021-34.jpg

019-28.jpg

I got these two corals last week for a fiver each only small frags not sure what they are but no problems so far
025-22.jpg

051-5.jpg

009-58.jpg

The clowns have started hanging round the Cataphyllia
003-80.jpg

002-76.jpg

018-30.jpg

Ive had a fuzzy lionfish for a about 3 months now hes great very ssecretive and only just eating regularly a guy in my LFS wants him when hes bigger
016-35.jpg

015-45.jpg

057-6.jpg

I just like this pic of my trumpets
049-7.jpg

032-10.jpg

031-12.jpg

028-18.jpg

058-5.jpg

my hammer coral hasnt grown at all seems receded
050-8.jpg

Simon, the second frag is a birdsnest. An sps coral.

Yes, you have been naughty. :rolleyes:

L

I think you have been naughty too! :D

Watch that angel like a hawk - if you are lucky it will be an erm ... angel but they can be very nippy - watch the mantle on the clam. The clam my be ok for a while but would prefer higher lighting as would the birdsnest and the montipora. Some target feeding of phytoplankton and 'meaty' invert food will help the clam.

The Malu really would prefer much higher lighting - try giving it a regular feed of something meaty like a mussel or piece of prawn once or twice a week & see what happens. You will know if it is unhappy if it starts to walk around the tank. Also it may start walking up the glass to find more light & even try to get into your powerheads - if that happens and it gets 'blended' :sick:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back