Jewel Vision 180 Reef Set Up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Well after running my river reef 94 since december I swapped it on sunday for a jewel vision 180. I kept all my rock and coral and fish and took the tank stand and an extra 10kg of live rock. As I moved house the day before and am shattered I ve just dumped it all in and will sort it at the weekend, the original 2 t5 lights were rubbish so Ive bought a 4 tube balast which is better although hasnt blown me away. Its 4x 39w t5 and I'll look to adding more at some point

Heres some before new light and after pics

137-1.jpg

215-1.jpg

All my chaeto is in the floating net, Im thinking of taking the media out the jewel internal and putting the submersible light and chaeto in there along with carbon and using the remainaing powerhead in there

The new lights bring out the colour in my mini maxi which I love Id like a proper nem and will read up on them soon
217-1.jpg

any ideas what is attached to this rock its a purple leathery thing
216-1.jpg

Its got a funny skimmer of which I have no idea how to work and need to look at soon
156-1.jpg

some of the corals
154.jpg

147-2.jpg

149.jpg

151.jpg

145-1.jpg

220-1.jpg

any ideas what this is like a see through aspitasia hard to capture on a camera as poor as mine
018-28.jpg

020-29.jpg

021-31.jpg

and my orange sponge thing
023-22.jpg

041-8.jpg

and the last shot of my River Reef
039-10.jpg

Awwww, poor you! it does look jumbled in there right now. But it'll look great soon, once you have a few days to rest and to think about it. The light is better, Si. But I said between 4-6 tubes, I think you'll be fine for the lps and softies, sps may be an issue. Up to you with regard to the lighting. Much better color temperature though. A big difference from the original lighting.

It's definitely A LOT bigger. :D

Room for a lot more corals. Hehehehe...

Excited to see this one progress.

L

The other pictures never loaded for me, did you just add them?

Looks good. :good: You must be exhausted. Yes, the nem is most likely aiptasia. Zap it!

L

kudos on your old river reef looks brilliant! guna stick a watch on this journal im expecting brilliance now from a mod ;)

ha ha trust me mod doesnt always equal brilliance ha ha but thanks

kudos on your old river reef looks brilliant! guna stick a watch on this journal im expecting brilliance now from a mod ;)

ha ha trust me mod doesnt always equal brilliance ha ha but thanks

Yes, it really depends on which mod you're referring to. Some are more brilliant than others. :p

Just teasing, I actually followed Si's old river reef. Was one of the tanks that made me turn salty. Along with Steelhealr's, BigC's, & SkiFletch's tanks. Go look up theirs FishareFriends, the salty mods do some pretty amazing things... Mine are rubbish in comparison.

You going to do some work on this over the weekend, Si?

L

There is huge potential here Simon :good:

Certainly looks like an aip to me - get the blowlamp out!

The new lighting looks much better IMO but you will need to increase it significantly to keep a nem happy.

well once these kids are in bed im going to spend a bit of time starting to rescape and clean the glass etc on this new tank
ive not looked at the new rock yet properly so not sure yet how im going to scape this , i really like the scape in the river reef and i'll have a good look at trying to do something similar but on a larger scale

im a technical thicko so need to ask my 4 tubes are all 39w but is there a different in brightness in the blue and white bulbs? or is the brightness level 39w regardless of the colour? would two more 39ws making 234w be enough for a nem? what would you recomend adding otherwise to achieve this :good:

well once these kids are in bed im going to spend a bit of time starting to rescape and clean the glass etc on this new tank
ive not looked at the new rock yet properly so not sure yet how im going to scape this , i really like the scape in the river reef and i'll have a good look at trying to do something similar but on a larger scale

im a technical thicko so need to ask my 4 tubes are all 39w but is there a different in brightness in the blue and white bulbs? or is the brightness level 39w regardless of the colour? would two more 39ws making 234w be enough for a nem? what would you recomend adding otherwise to achieve this :good:
i had this problem with lighting i was adding up the wattage :p on my journal you see ainsy saying 4x 39w (diff number on mine obvs lol) still equals 39watts. what kind of nem are you after?
ive attached a AquaRay 600 to my tank which increases my light output considerably :)

look at post 75 on this page 4

Im confused ha ha

im in the middle of this rescape but had to stop as the tank has clouded up and I cant see what IM doing. frustrating job this is :crazy:

just a thought then on the lighting, whats the point then in getting say 6 tunes at 39w when you could save money and get 4 or 2 at same wattage?

If this were my tank, Si. I'd get Metal Halides. A dual halide unit that spans the length of the tank. I BET, you could find one used. I found a sunpod used for $60, a 150w. And I got another 70w halide for the cost of shipping priority mail, or $12.50. IMO, barring High end LEDs or DIY work by adding extra T5 bulbs or rigging your own LED fixture, MH is probably going to be the best option. Especially if you want a nem.

Unless... Rock flower nems only require moderate lighting. But they are small and I doubt a clown would host. Also, a large aiptasia species like a curlique anemone is also nonphotosynthetic. But again, if you want something the clown will host...

Rescaping is a pain in the rear.

PS: that thing you have on the back of your tank. It's called a skilter filter. Give it a search on Google. It's a combination protein skimmer/filter. I remembered it looked familiar to me. I looked it up initially for my 36g. From what I've read in my research in the hobby. Not particularly effective with either skimming or filtering.

L

How long is your tank Simon?

I have a twin 150w and a twin 250w arcadias that I was going to Ebay.

@Ryan - sorry it seems I have confused you - the wattage does add up 4 x 39w does = 156W. It is the colour temperature that doesn't add up 3 tubes where each are 10K doesn't = 30k it is still only 10K

@Ryan - sorry it seems I have confused you - the wattage does add up 4 x 39w does = 156W. It is the colour temperature that doesn't add up 3 tubes where each are 10K doesn't = 30k it is still only 10K

See... What did I tell you??

I think, if memory serves, the Vision is 92cm long, but I'm no expert in UK tanks. The rio is 101cm

ainsy, if you setup your nano, you'd be less confusing. :D

Its 3ft long Ainsy?

Are they halides? and daft question but the 250w one would be a lot stronger than the 156w of my current lighting? :huh:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back