Jewel Tanks

rival

New Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2008
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Points
0
looking to buy a 400l jewel tank next month. What do you guys think of these tanks?

Ta
 
The tanks themselves are pretty good, haven't personally heard of any leakage problems with them,
The filter is ok for smaller species but you'd be better of ripping it out and running an external IMO, the powerhead is often the first thing to go and can be fairly hard to replace
 
as above but.... depite any little problems they are really nice looking especially in beech :)



jen
 
The light units durability is also questionable, 2 of mine have gone, and one of them has gone again after a year.
 
I find that the filters are great, as there is so much room for media. :good:

I've had no problem with my lighting units. one tank is a good 8 years old, the other about 2.
 
I've had my jewel for nearly 7 years now, everything is going great with it. Other than replacing tubes and the powerhead (very easy to find 3rd party replacements).
 
Complete and utter crap, the Rio 300 i bought 7 years ago is the worst tank i have ever bought. Its still in use but has none of the original equipment which all broke down and even the center brace that supports the sides has snapped so the glass bows alarmingly.

Heater-stuck on heat and nearly boiled my fish, replaced with a Visi therm

Powerhead- broke on the hottest day of the year and suffocated over £200 worth of fish, after that i ripped out the juwel filter and replaced it with an Eheim

Lights- broke twice, first set replaced under warrenty 2nd set it was tough luck apperently.

Spend a bit more and buy a Rena tank, better build standard and quality electrical equipment.
 
thanks for all the input guys. Would you think I would be better off going for a smaller tank, but a better make then?
 
My opinion of Juwel;

Tank itself is excellent.

Filter is great on the smaller models, but lacking on the larger ones

I have never had issues with the heaters, but they are harder than most to set the temperature on.

Lighting is fairly limiting as far as plant growth goes, but otherwise OK. The first Juwel T5 lighting units ware appalling, lasting on adverage between 12 seconds and 12 days before failing hard. On such unit nearly set a customer's house alight :crazy: I wasn't overly supprised to hear him asking the manager for his cash back... :no: These lighting issues have apparently been fixed, as all complaints of faults on the recent tanks have dropped back to the usual minimal rate at my place of work...

The stands are very flimsy if you ever dismantle for moving, made of chipboard. You'd be better building your own IMO

Overall, they are good IMO, with my Record 98 lasting 5 years before being sold on. It's still going strong with the only replacement part being the tube from origional :nod: If you are wanting to grow plants, I'd bin the lights, and add an exturnal filter to the larger tanks. Otherwise I like them.

All the best
Rabbut
 
I have a Vision 260 which i have had for 5 years, no problems!

Also, i had a Trigon 350 which i sold to my mate about 2 years ago. Its about 7 years old now, also no problems!

Great tanks in my experience. I'd recommend them to anyone. :good:
 
I only ever had the Vision 180 for a few years. Filter is total rubbish, clogs up in the blink of an eye (totally forget about plants because a few leaves in the filter will make it turn mush and grind to a halt. Rip filter out and replace with decent external.
Light unit is known to conk out after a year or so for many people. Not cheap to replace.
Hood a bit rubbish but does the job just fine.
Other than that, great looking tank in my opinion.

Rena is 100% better (far superior quality) - though much more expensive.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top