Jewel Cichlid Issue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DaveA76

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
bought a 2.5 inch male today who decided he was going to dominate 1/2 my 650l tank today chasing everything away, but has grown atatched to my pearl cichlid who never leaves his side and are both around the same size, this went on for a few hours till my 5inch salvini moved into his "territory"  since then his aggression has seamed to calm down, a little a fight broke out between the salvini and the jewel but the pearl joined in aswell so it was 2 against 1 needless to say the salvini is the boss of the tank and didnt back down and luckily no damage to any of the fish phisically, the salvini has now taken up residence where the jewel originally set up his territory and the jewel has now backed off into a corner and is no longer taking half the tank as "his" jst this one corner

would you say the hierarchy has now been sorted ? or can i expect further aggression from the jewel ? if so i will return him as he "was" stressing my pair of severums 

In a cichlid tank there is always going to be fights at one time or another someone will eventually go into someone's else's turf but usually if you have a good boss fish then it gets sorted out fast and everyone goes back to there spots.

i know there will always be fights and there usually is daily but the scale of this was rediculus but the tank seems a lot happier and settled this morning 

another question as the jewel and pearl seem to have been drawn together and are doing all sorts of weird courtship stuff etc is it possible for these to hybridise ?

Sometimes this can happen when adding new fish, or re-arranging the tank. It will usually sort itself out but just keep an eye on it, you want to be sure fish aren't going to get seriously injured. As far as your pearl and jewel cichlids go, I am sure it's possible for them to pair and even lay eggs, whether or not they can rear any successful fry is something I am unfamiliar with.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back