Java moss problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tyler_Fishman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
isn't this stuff supposed to grow like nuisance algae? Not for me. I got my java moss when it was a lush green color at petco. I placed it in a Lower light area, parallel to my ozelot sword which obstructs a good majority of light. It's not like it's pitch black, just there isn't too much light. I run one LED 5000k 13.5 watt clamp lamp on a 10g and all my other plants grow very well, besides my java fern but I'll get to that later. The point being is that's should I plant the java moss so that it's getting more light. It looks very unsilglty and sad as of now. As for the java fern, I could never get these to grow. I never tie them. But I don't think tying is need For their growth.instead their roots get mush on them and I have to manually scrape it off and trim the roots. I recently got more mid ground plants, I figure they are going to grow just fine. I feel like my tank dislikes anything that's grows on drift wood. Are my javas in need of More light?
P.S. the mush on the java ferns id caused by zucchini, I should start feeding less of it
-help is always appreciated!

Whoever told you it was supposed to grow like algae lied.
It spreads like algae when you trim it.

From my experience Java moss has always taken a good few months to establish them selves and then another few weeks to start really growing. I always found medium light really helped. A Blue light too. plus good water flow around the tank.
And I would use liquid plant food once a week too. I mean Co2 system would be better but I know they are so expensive. So at least some kind of plan neutrient will help for sure.

I started using co2 today. My java moss turned a slimy brown color but their are green pertrusions sticking out, I assume that's new growth? I put my java fern in bright light, horrid mistake... it turned dark green and started rotting away I put it back in an area with significantly less Par. It seems to be doing better a bit. Hopefully the fish don't push it around

I started using co2 today. My java moss turned a slimy brown color but their are green pertrusions sticking out, I assume that's new growth? I put my java fern in bright light, horrid mistake... it turned dark green and started rotting away I put it back in an area with significantly less Par. It seems to be doing better a bit. Hopefully the fish don't push it around

Try attaching it to something with some thread. By the time the threat dissolves the moss should have taken to the surface of the rock or wood u put it on. If it's flying around the tank it won't be happy and it won't grow.

it wont be happy, but it will grow if its loose. Java moss is most commonly used loose in breeding tanks.

What fertilizer are you using and how much are you applying?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back