Java Fern!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

digital_run

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi...these are probably some pretty simple questions..but i hope they can get them answered here..I just bought a JAva fern which was already a fair size and attached to a rock...Now the tallest leaf is a starting to brown and has some holes in it...should i trim this leaf back?...should i just place the rock on top of the gravel?...i have it buried at the moment.?

Thnx for the help! :D

It's best to let the plants take root by themselves. However, you won't be able to detach it from the gravel, so it might be a good idea to bury it if you don't want it to be seen.

I'd trim off the entire leaf if I were you. Mine started off brown but then turned all place and came off.

the tallest leaf is a starting to brown and has some holes in it...should i trim this leaf back?...should i just place the rock on top of the gravel?...i have it buried at the moment.?
Do not trim the leaf for now. Place the rock on the gravel -- do not bury it.
it might be a good idea to bury it if you don't want it to be seen.
I'd trim off the entire leaf if I were you.

Well, no one ever said that eeryone on this forum is in agreement. :lol:

Let me add to your confusion.

I have java fern growing fairly rampantly in my aquarium, two varieties. I bought a book and looked for care advice on the web when I put them in, and never saw anyone suggest burying the roots. In nature, java fern attaches itself to things -- rocks, logs, the ground -- and grows very well that way. The farther it is from an object, the longer the roots will grow. I have a large driftwood type decoration and another small one, and the ferns are all attached to those. I looked for a likely spot, then attached them temporarily by setting a small rock on the roots to hold them there until they grabbed on. I've seen where people use rubber bands, too.

As for the brown leaf, it is the tallest and thus probably the oldest leaf. Leaves die. Leaving it there doesn't help the plant like with tulips. It just sucks energy from it and makes it take longer to form new leaves. I'd prune it. Pruning stimulates growth.

Btw, once it starts growing little java ferns (and mine does this without any leaves turning brown) at the tops of the leaves, I have read that it is best to let them detach from the plant on their own and then find them a spot or give them away.

My two cents. Good luck. :)

Seeing as my other true love in life (Shhh don't let my girlfriend know I said that...lmao jk honey, ya know you're my biggest love in life ;) ) is gardening I'd tend to lean towards agreeing with triming any dead leaves back as pruning in 99% of plants promotes healthy, vigorous new growth.

The more and more I look up java fern the more and more I see it on the substrate. Why is this? I was looking at some tanks at http://www.plantedtank.net/gallery.html and theyre established tanks that have java fern and moss growing on the substrate. Everyones been telling me it needs large rocks or driftwood. Im confused!

It doesn't need anything. It could float for all it cares. As long as you don't bury the rhizome you can do whatever you want with it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back