Jaguar, Firemouth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steve-0

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
does anybody keep this fish? If so I would like to know your tank set-ups behaviour food, how to tell sex, anything and everything :D pictures would be great ...but im probably asking too much already
Can you feed small feeder fish/guppies to either?
THanks again :S

Well i know a little about firemouths i have had two of them and from what i have learned most are shy and like to hide in stuff like a log. They can be aggresive and are very terrtorial. but they are a beauital fish they get about 6 inches and when they get made they fold out thier gills were it looks like they are on fire i love the one i have now and they go good with about all ur south americans if you got any more questions just ask them

ps the jaguar is like a oscar but a little meaner and they don't grow as fast again this is a great fish and very pretty :)

firemouths are the less aggressive of the cichlids. they are very territorial especially when mating. they are a slower growing fish and can get to lengths of 10" in the male of the species. a guestimate of their sex is by the finnage. the males fins are longer and more flowing. when mating their chins become a deeper red.

jaguars are very aggressive. would not be a good match with the firemouths. firemouths are kept well with jewels.

would not feed any fish feeders. feeders are short living and very prone to carry disease which can be passed onto your fish. if you are wanting to feed your fish live food would suggest a pair of convicts. convicts breed rapidly and often. the fry can be fed to your fish. you know where the fish come from and what conditions they have been subjected to. convicts would also go well with firemouths.

jmo

semper fi

do all firemouths darken as they age. Pics i have seen of mature fish are black with the red throat. but mine is a grey/silver with pink throat and blue coloring and a blue spot.

i assume that you are speaking of the firemouth. the throat area will darken when breeding. as for the fish getting dark, it depends on their mood. usually is a silver gray fish with a red throat or chin.

semper fi

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back