Itty Bitty Teeny Weeny Baby Cons!

F 1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I finally have baby convicts. Where they had laid their eggs under the stack of pots that they had toppled over with their digging, I couldn't see the eggs. When I did a water change and gravel vacuuming this past weekend, the male convict would attack the siphon when I brought it near the pot stack. I was watching them last night and thought that if there were babies under there, I would have to feed them. I had been very reluctant to move the pot stack and look for fear of upsetting them but when I did move it (very gently) there they were. I crushed up some flakes and released them down near the babies. That made the male very unhappy and if he had teeth my hand would be quite scarred today.

When I got up this morning, they had all been moved to another pot. As I watched, one tried to swim out of the pot. The female swam to it, sucked it into her mouth and spit it back inside the pot. Fascinating!

Wow that sounds really exciting! I wish I had the time and money to invest in creating breeding environments for my fish ;) Good luck for the future of your baby cons :D

Thanks. I can't wait to get home from work. I called my wife on an unrelated subject earlier today and she said that the proud parents were leading about 100 fry around the tank.

F1

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back