It Has Arrived..damaged

Why not just let it cycle naturally and show some patience. Seems like you have put yourself through a lot of stress there!

Why not just let it cycle naturally and show some patience. Seems like you have put yourself through a lot of stress there!
 
Starburst - Why would I wait 4-8 weeks for it to cycle, when I can get some mature media and cycle it alot quicker? It was 5 minutes of stress, better than 4-8 weeks of stress
 
Why not just let it cycle naturally and show some patience. Seems like you have put yourself through a lot of stress there!

Why not just let it cycle naturally and show some patience. Seems like you have put yourself through a lot of stress there!


So good starburst said it twice!

Nah - I completely agree with doing anything possible to speed things up and ensure they go smoothly. Sadly things are always posted at posters risk. There is nothing in the royal mails postal code thing that says that anything you post has even got to reach the recipient. (so always use special post if posting anything valuable - guaranteed money if lost/damaged)
 
Well, either way. Its here and its in, Tipped the ammonia in it aswell.

So will see what the readings say tommorow :P
 
do i understand this, you put a sponge soaked in ammonia into your tank?
 
:drool: fresh media :drool:
sponge_360.jpg
 
Nick, it wasnt soaked. and its for the bacteria to feed on until i get fish saturday. The person who sent it me told me to do that
 
Sounds like you're doing right youngfisher. You've basically got a precycled piece of filter media. And no fish in the tank...so you need to run the filter and artifically add ammonia to keep the bacteria numbers up... By the way testing the water for ammonia might be a good idea...you know once it's been going for a couple of hours. So you can top up with ammonia if the levels are really low.
Put them up to 5ppm if possible...same as if you were doing a fishless cycle.


Edit: By the way Nelly... :huh: ?
 
Ooo...hmm. Use the calc at the top of the page to work out how much ammonia would give you 5ppm...then take off a few ml to allow for what came with it? I don't know how many + how quickly bacteria die off if the ammonia runs out. I'm sure plenty of other people do and I may be worrying about nothing.
But on the otherhand, inmagine if your lovely new seeded media turned into not so lovely useless media because the bacteria starved :unsure:
 
Well there was quite a bit of ammonia :crazy:

I will get the test kit tommorow and hopefully it wil be fine. I might purchase some fish tommorow aswell :good:
 
Hmm...I dunno if I'd be getting fish tomorrow(but that's just me, I'd wrap my fish up in little padded jackets if I really thought it would do some good). After all the stress and newbie mistakes I made and the poisoning I put them through, they're rather spoilt now, it eases my conscience.

Wouldn't you rather be 100% that the bacteria is properly cycling the ammonia into nitrate first? That is if you have some ammonia to hand? (After you have your test kit of course)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top