The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I've got more fish than that in a smaller tank, also heavily planted. All my fish get along and the water quality is perfect. I think it really depends on the fish you keep, the set up of the tank and filtration. There will be some that will flat out swear by the inches per gallon rule but i've been able to keep more fish than that rule allows safely for years. I think your tank is far from being overstocked especially if it's heavily planted.
Yeah I have a wave maker sponge filter and a HOB filter so I think I am ok haha, thank you! My betta swims laps sometimes around the tank so I think the flow is fine for him.

Hi, and welcome!
Gotta admit, I was nervous opening this thread! Usually when someone asks, "is this too many fish for my tank?" the answer is a resounding yes, with a long list of mismashed, oversized fish that must have the tank bursting at its seams, but this sounds understocked if anything, to me! Not that understocking is bad, it's definitely better to be under than over!

Yes, it definitely doesn't sound like too many to me, even with a large school of celestials. :) Whether or not celestials would be okay with a betta, I can't say I'm afraid, I've kept neither.

I'd never heard of danio tinwini before so had to google to see, very nice! Would love to see photos of the tank if you'd be happy to share!
Hereā€™s a photo! not the best quality :/

Attachments

• 39799DEC-A787-4DD1-BD99-202F9CF4F519.jpeg
    39799DEC-A787-4DD1-BD99-202F9CF4F519.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 75
Wow! It's good enough quality to show it's a gorgeous tank! love the slope so it's like two habitats in one, really drawn to that style of scaping at the moment. I really want to try soil with my next tank set up - which is likely to be soon - mainly because then I could structure shape into the bottom in a way you can't with any other substrate really.

Mind if I ask what soil you used, and did you have trouble with it leeching ammonia for long?

Wow! It's good enough quality to show it's a gorgeous tank! love the slope so it's like two habitats in one, really drawn to that style of scaping at the moment. I really want to try soil with my next tank set up - which is likely to be soon - mainly because then I could structure shape into the bottom in a way you can't with any other substrate really.

Mind if I ask what soil you used, and did you have trouble with it leeching ammonia for long?
I actually just use fluval stratum and seachem flourite black sand as a mixture for the base of how I want the structure to be shaped and then another layer of the seachem on top so you donā€™t see the mixture of both soils! Oh, I also use crushed lava rocks as well for the mixture.

Iā€™ve never had a problem with ammonia leeching from the soils, I just make sure to rinse everything really well before and then spray the soil with water conditioner after. The fluval does lower the ph a little bit, but I guess with all the rock decorations it never gotten low haha.
Hope that helps :)

I actually just use fluval stratum and seachem flourite black sand as a mixture for the base of how I want the structure to be shaped and then another layer of the seachem on top so you donā€™t see the mixture of both soils! Oh, I also use crushed lava rocks as well for the mixture.

Iā€™ve never had a problem with ammonia leeching from the soils, I just make sure to rinse everything really well before and then spray the soil with water conditioner after. The fluval does lower the ph a little bit, but I guess with all the rock decorations it never gotten low haha.
Hope that helps :)
It does help, thank you!
I did mean soil as in, a planted tank substrate rather than soil from the garden ;):lol: I'm not that brave yet! :lol: Just a soil-type product for planted tanks, rather than just gravel or sand. I like sand, so might do a sand cap, but want to be able to shape a hill or a slope and play around with different levels in the substrate, since my sand just levels itself out in a short time.

You hear mixed reviews and horror stories about ammonia leeching from products like stratum, ADA etc, so hearing people's personal experiences with it helps me make up my mind, thank you!

It does help, thank you!
I did mean soil as in, a planted tank substrate rather than soil from the garden ;):lol: I'm not that brave yet! :lol: Just a soil-type product for planted tanks, rather than just gravel or sand. I like sand, so might do a sand cap, but want to be able to shape a hill or a slope and play around with different levels in the substrate, since my sand just levels itself out in a short time.

You hear mixed reviews and horror stories about ammonia leeching from products like stratum, ADA etc, so hearing people's personal experiences with it helps me make up my mind, thank you!
Oh yes! I knew what you meant! Haha Iā€™m also too scared to use soil for gardens in my tank. Although I heard if you find a soil with nothing added in it and then bake it or something, then it can be used??

Anyways I read online that the 2 substrate/sand/soil (whatever you want to call it lol) that I use are fine for planted tanks and the lava rocks, you should be able to scape and play around with what you want and for it to not level out after.
I also use those little tablets for added nutrients for the plants

thanks again :)

The tank is not overstocked however having had celestial pearls previously, they are incredibly shy fish and were so even in a heavily planted tank with just them and blue jelly shrimp. I wouldn't recommend them for your tank. If you are looking for a little fish that would work with a betta, try ember tetras or even a hastatus or pygmy cory (both varieties will swim at all levels of the tank, not just the bottom). They are all very active fish and would be big enough to not be a snack for a betta with that type of attitude (not all bettas are like that)

Hi! Iā€™ve checked out that website before I donā€™t really understand how to navigate it I was hoping for maybe someoneā€™s opinion! But thank you ?
Hi Brie, I know the website is super weird but I am going to try and break it down for you the best I can. So first start by adding in the dimension of your tank. This is located in the top left, to the right of where it says "Name". Choose the dimension of your tank - 10g, 20g, etc. It will automatically fill the dimensions for you. Then underneath that section are two white boxes. The one on the left is where you will search for the fish you have or want to get. For example, I could type in Betta. I would specifically choose Betta splendens, and to chose the fish you just need to click on the option. Then in the middle of the two boxes, add in the quantity. You'll just type in how many fish you have then press the add button, it should move over into the box on the right. Repeat this process for any fish, snail, or shrimp you have in the tank. After you have completed that step, slowly start to scroll down. Underneath the first set of ads, there should be some writing in green and black. It is easy to miss at first bu t it is there. This is where you will find what capacity your tank is at and all other information they provide. Hope this helps!

Awwwh maaaaaaan. I like that. A lot.
IIā€™ve been considering reshuffling my 10G MosquitoFish species tank slightly along those lines once my community tank troubles settle down. Mainly because the MFs donā€™t seem 100% confident in its current trad ā€œplants along sides n back with twisted root in centreā€œ setting. Itā€™s very much like a theatre stage set atm though it uses a few of your plants and a piece of wood very similar in shape.
All plants at one end with the wood stretching out of them looks way better.
Keep the pics coming over the months ahead please it looks great.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back