Is this tank ok to put a betta in?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

pettygil

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is this tank ok to put a betta in? is all I can afford for now. I did buy a heater. The filter comes with the tank. I also bought gravel and some plants. This is not my video, but it is what I purchase on Amazon.

Hi pettygirl,

Question: What wattage is the heater? That's imporatant because if the tank you purchased is 3 gallons, what size heater do you have?

If you set up the tank already, let it run,....(water pump, sponge filter, gravel plate filter...whichever the tank kit came with),...give the tank at least two weeks to run withoust a betta fish.

A 3 gallon tank is a good size for one betta! :)

Blessings!

That's a really nice-looking setup. Assuming the temperature etc. is good, and the plants are growing well enough to keep the water clean, it's OK, but not ideal.

This is a frequent topic that comes up around here. Contrary to popular belief, Betta splendens are actually rather intelligent and active fish if given room to swim. This tank is a vast improvement over the way most bettas are kept, and the fish will probably be healthy and happy enough. But five gallon is really a nicer size. Your fish will appreciate the extra room.

Here's something we've learned recently: Bettas LOVE live food. It brings out a whole different aspect of their personalities! 🦈 @TheLavenderBadger

Last edited:
If you set up the tank already, let it run,....(water pump, sponge filter, gravel plate filter...whichever the tank kit came with),...give the tank at least two weeks to run withoust a betta fish.
Why?
24 hours is long enough to check everything is working and get the temperature up. This would be appropriate id adding an established filter, or if very frequent water changes were used to stop the build up of ammonia.
Cycling will not happen unless ammonia is added and monitored and takes around six weeks.
If using plants to circumvent most of the cycling this could take 2 weeks, but needs lots of thriving live plants.

Why?
24 hours is long enough to check everything is working and get the temperature up. This would be appropriate id adding an established filter, or if very frequent water changes were used to stop the build up of ammonia.
Cycling will not happen unless ammonia is added and monitored and takes around six weeks.
If using plants to circumvent most of the cycling this could take 2 weeks, but needs lots of thriving live plants.
You're right about filter cycling, but I usually let a planted tank go for a couple weeks (sometimes as much as a couple months). Once the plants are growing actively I'll add the fish. The amount of plants shown in the video, combined with regular water changes, would be plenty to keep a single betta's water clean. But they often do take a couple weeks to really get growing.

You're right about filter cycling, but I usually let a planted tank go for a couple weeks (sometimes as much as a couple months). Once the plants are growing actively I'll add the fish. The amount of plants shown in the video, combined with regular water changes, would be plenty to keep a single betta's water clean. But they often do take a couple weeks to really get growing.
I thought 2 and a couple mean the same thing? I'm not sure what your argument is.

I thought 2 and a couple mean the same thing? I'm not sure what your argument is.
Not arguing; I was agreeing with you. Just expanding on what you said a little bit. :)
Edit: I guess I did word it like I was disagreeing. Chalk that up to a long day.

I was going to do a fish in cycle on my 3 gallon tank. I was going to add my betta the same day I get my tank, and do 50 percent water changes every day, or 75 percent wc everyday. Is that ok to do?

I was going to do a fish in cycle on my 3 gallon tank. I was going to add my betta the same day I get my tank, and do 50 percent water changes every day, or 75 percent wc everyday. Is that ok to do?
People do...but it is better for the fish to be pre-cycled or plant cycled.
In between water changes the ammonia builds up and this is bad for the fish. If you were unable to do water changes for a while for some reason (other commitments? illness? away from home?) it could become toxic.
Check out the care sheet to get an idea of what you would be committing to:

You could. But it is extremely stressful for the fish and can shorten their lifespan. Sometimes fish don't survive a fish in cycle.

I think you could put a betta in it, but I would think a 10 Gallon would let the betta be more active. As other people may think, bettas actually thrive a lot better in open space, not a tiny space. Either way, make as much room in the tank :)

I put plants in my My 3 gallon is not cycled, yet. When I do wc do I clean the gravel. or do I leave the gravel alone, until the tank is cycled? Should I get bigger plants, or are these plants ok? These plants are silk for the Betta.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back