Is this tank ok to put a betta in?

These are ok and look attractive.
You now need floating plants - try salvinia, frogbit, water lettuce. red root floaters, just see what thrives. Betta love them! They rest underneath and feel safe from predation.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm going to buy me a 6 gallon fish tank. The tank betta is in now is Temp. I have 2 questions. When my 6 gallon tank arrives and I put Betta into it from the 3 gallon, is that going to stress out my Betta moving him? Also I'm trying to find a filter on Amazon for my Betta. The filter I have now is for 3 gallon. Can I use that Filter on my 6 gallon?

is that going to stress out my Betta moving him?
Yes but you can minimise the stress. Never net a betta - always use a cup or similar to reduce damage to the fins. Check that the parameters of the new water (temperature, GH, pH) match. Leave the lights off and don't feed for a few hours after introduction to the new tank.
The 3g filter will be fine in the 6g.

Yes but you can minimise the stress. Never net a betta - always use a cup or similar to reduce damage to the fins. Check that the parameters of the new water (temperature, GH, pH) match. Leave the lights off and don't feed for a few hours after introduction to the new tank.
The 3g filter will be fine in the 6g.
I did not know about netting the Betta. I will just use a cup next time. In fact today I just used a plastic cup. The tank I am buying comes with a small filter, so I do not have to worry about a filter, like I thought I did. My ph is high like 8.0 but I have 0 Ammonia. I check my ammonia every day, along with all the other water checks I do. I also change the water every day on my Betta's 3 gallon tank, until it's cycled.

I have always cycled my first tank with some fish. All you have to do is monitor the Ammonia and change the water to keep the levels down and the tank will cycle itself. Once I cycle the first tank all the rest I just transfer some material to the new tank. I use wet/dry filters so transfering the bacteria to the fresh tank is easy.

Why?
24 hours is long enough to check everything is working and get the temperature up. This would be appropriate id adding an established filter, or if very frequent water changes were used to stop the build up of ammonia.
Cycling will not happen unless ammonia is added and monitored and takes around six weeks.
If using plants to circumvent most of the cycling this could take 2 weeks, but needs lots of thriving live plants.
Why?
24 hours is long enough to check everything is working and get the temperature up. This would be appropriate id adding an established filter, or if very frequent water changes were used to stop the build up of ammonia.
Cycling will not happen unless ammonia is added and monitored and takes around six weeks.
If using plants to circumvent most of the cycling this could take 2 weeks, but needs lots of thriving live plants.
I've seen too many heaters at the wrong size/wattage resulting in fish death.
Worked in pet stores long enough to end up with trauma.

The tank I am buying comes with a small filter, so I do not have to worry about a filter, like I thought I did.
I know you've not had it long but the 3 gallon filter will have already grown some bacteria.

A lot of tanks come with filters which are too strong for a betta. A 3 gallon filter could well be better for a betta (sorry :blush: ) that the filter which comes with a larger tank as the flow won't be as strong and it should be plenty big enough to house the bacteria needed by one fish.

Salvinia minima is great. You won't need much to start with because it grows very fast. I'm at the point of throwing away handfuls each week because it grows so fast. Which is a good thing.
Bettas are labyrinth breathers, which means they need to go to the surface and breathe in regular air every once in a while. Make sure the salvinia doesn't cover the entire water surface so that it can do that.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
To give you an idea how fast salvinia minima grows, it took about 3 weeks to go from the first pic to the second one.

1673889096549.jpeg

1673889140318.jpeg

I moved my Betta (Gwanji The Living Thing) out of a 4 gallon Top Fin acrylic tank into a regulation five gallon. He loves it in there. Say what you want but a five gallon is perfect for a single male Betta. I have always kept my Bettas warm. Gwanji’s water is 82 degrees Fahrenheit . Feasting on live wingless fruit flies and Grindal Worms he is thriving and filling out good. You would never guess his humble beginnings as a PetsMart rescue Betta. He looks like an IBC show champion.

Why?
You can’t avoid the cycle, in a 3 gallon toxins it will build up very quickly. You also don’t want to avoid the cycle, I’d use bottled bacteria or drop in a bag of cycled media if your doing a fish in cycle. I do both in all my tanks and they’re almost always cycled immediately, within a day or two

You can’t avoid the cycle, in a 3 gallon toxins it will build up very quickly. You also don’t want to avoid the cycle, I’d use bottled bacteria or drop in a bag of cycled media if your doing a fish in cycle. I do both in all my tanks and they’re almost always cycled immediately, within a day or two
My question was to Yellow.
They recommended letting the tank run for two weeks without indicating the purpose of this and with no explanation of if or how this would cycle the tank.

You can indeed avoid the cycle by doing large daily water changes. The reality of managing a tank that is less than 5 gallons is that a cycle is hard to establish and also to maintain so daily water changes may be the best way, and are actually not too labour intensive on tiny tanks.
Also, I explained the planted cycle. A planted cycle does not rely on beneficial bacteria, just on abundant thriving plants to utilise the ammonia, and many on here recommend this.
Most fishkeepers would use pre-cycled filter media, as indicated in my post that you quoted, but new fish keepers, like the OP, cannot. Bottled bacteria is sold as an instant fix and touted on here as a solution but usually does not have the correct bacteria to facilitate a cycle.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back