Is this normal black kuhli loach behavior??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

TryHard

Reaction score
Hello! I recently bought a black kuhli loach for the first time to pair with my small school of guppies in a 10 gal. He's currently in an empty ā€œquarantineā€ tank with the other new guppies I bought with him. Anyway, heā€™s only been in there a few hours, but heā€™s been spazzing out like the devil is on his tail. Iā€™ve watched him inadvertently shove the guppies up out of the water and into the air as he swims like a mad man around the tank. At first I just thought he was feeling a little exposed, so I scattered some leftover rocks I had from setting up a betta tank in there with him. It seems to help a little; he actually rests now between spazzing. I just wanted to know if that was normal khuli behavior? I know they have a ā€œhappy danceā€ but thereā€™s no way thatā€™s what this is with all the stress from travel, right?

Hello! I recently bought a black kuhli loach for the first time to pair with my small school of guppies in a 10 gal. He's currently in an empty ā€œquarantineā€ tank with the other new guppies I bought with him. Anyway, heā€™s only been in there a few hours, but heā€™s been spazzing out like the devil is on his tail. Iā€™ve watched him inadvertently shove the guppies up out of the water and into the air as he swims like a mad man around the tank. At first I just thought he was feeling a little exposed, so I scattered some leftover rocks I had from setting up a betta tank in there with him. It seems to help a little; he actually rests now between spazzing. I just wanted to know if that was normal khuli behavior? I know they have a ā€œhappy danceā€ but thereā€™s no way thatā€™s what this is with all the stress from travel, right?
Thats normal thing for my kuhli, my mollies and rams scares of them when they does that. Make sure you got lots of place for them to hide. How many kuhli in your tank?

Kuhlis need to be kept in groups of at least 5. They need sand to bury themselves in, lots of hiding places and dim lighting or floating plants to cut down the light. I know it is currently in a quarantine tank rather than a permanent home, but providing hiding spaces - and more kuhlis - will help it settle.

Kuhlis need to be kept in groups of at least 5. They need sand to bury themselves in, lots of hiding places and dim lighting or floating plants to cut down the light. I know it is currently in a quarantine tank rather than a permanent home, but providing hiding spaces - and more kuhlis - will help it settle.
Kuhli loach will always jump of the tank if theres no hiding space and their friends

He is stressed that there is nowhere to hide and no friends, put something in their for him to hide under/in/behind.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back