Is this fin rot???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Johnykiwi

Reaction score
Hi all, below I have posted some photos of a fish that I presumed had fin rot. Itā€™s a bristlenose pleco (longfin variant). You might see in the photo that the fins almost look torn, and the tail fin is half itā€™s length. I noticed it a couple weeks ago and just did some research with some saying just to do regular water changes and to make sure the water quality is good. Iā€™ve been doing that. But it doesnā€™t seem to have fixed my issue with the fish. I just wanna ask your advice on what I should do if it is fin rot. Thanks

Attachments

• B17D9131-2767-43CD-ADD8-CB6944532B99.jpeg
    B17D9131-2767-43CD-ADD8-CB6944532B99.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 34
  • E8C4ED05-881A-4EC4-813D-B52C9B45B9C2.jpeg
    E8C4ED05-881A-4EC4-813D-B52C9B45B9C2.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 9F260D24-1CE9-40A7-A82F-6F9FCBA130BD.jpeg
    9F260D24-1CE9-40A7-A82F-6F9FCBA130BD.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 33
The fins look torn but it doesnā€™t appear to be fin rot.
How long had the fish been in the tank before you noticed the problem 2 weeks ago? Does it get worse since then or does it remain the same? If the latter Iā€™d keep an eye on it but wouldnā€™t worry too much.

For fin rot, you have Blue Planet's Fungus Cure for fungal disease and Tri-Sulfa for external bacterial infection.

The fins look torn but it doesnā€™t appear to be fin rot.
How long had the fish been in the tank before you noticed the problem 2 weeks ago? Does it get worse since then or does it remain the same? If the latter Iā€™d keep an eye on it but wouldnā€™t worry too much.

For fin rot, you have Blue Planet's Fungus Cure for fungal disease and Tri-Sulfa for external bacterial infection.
Yeah I think about 2 - 3 weeks ago that I noticed it, but the fish has been in the tank for around 3 months tho. I am concerned that it is fin rot because around that time my Betta had fin rot I think. I did remove him and isolate him from the main tank with the pleco in it but am worried that it had gone over to the pleco now. Iā€™ll keep and eye out, keep making sure the water is clean and might try the blue planet stuff.
Thanks

fin rot is caused by poor water quality and a dirty tank that weakens a fish and allows harmful bacteria to gain entry.

cleaning the tank (big daily water changes and gravel cleans), cleaning the filter and maybe adding some salt, usually fix the issue.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back