Is This An African Dwarf Frog?

rosswarren

Reaction score
Hi, my parents have these frogs and were sold them as African Dwarf Frogs. BUT they attacked a fish! Could it be that they are clawed frogs? They don't really look like them. Anyways, here are some pictures.

ej3Qc.jpg

35XuN.jpg

Definately looks like an ADF to me :good: if you look at this link http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/234165-african-dwarf-frogs/ there is a photo of both an ADF and an ACF for you to compare yourself. The best way to tell the difference is if she has webbing on her front feet then she is an ADF. The difference between the two different types is quite obvious when you see the comparison photos. Not sure why yours would have attacked the fish though, i have had a group of 5 that lived peacefully in a community tank. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of their behaviour will be able to help you on that as i can only go on my own experience.

both species will try and eat fish, ACF are just generally more successful due to their size.

there is nothing in nature to stop ADF from trying to eat a live fish.

Plus, due to their awful eye sight, a passing fin (shadow) can look like a small meal and the frog tries to catch it.

Thanks for the replies :) that's a relief they are not ACF. I don't think any more fish will go missing since the one that got attacked was already injured. It was quite scary since 5 jumped on it at once though!

Wow, I really never knew this could be such a problem with ADFs, I have been extremely lucky with my calm little guys. I think if you don't have another tank to move them to for them to be on there own then it might be a good idea to rehome. I did notice looking at that photo and then looking back at the other photos at the top of the thread that the frogs look rather skinny-are they getting enough food? That may be why they are attacking the fish, could be hunger? ADFs have very poor eyesight so hunt/feed by smell which means they have trouble competing for food. We hand feed ours, even now that they dont have any tank mates, but it was pretty much a need be when we had fish with them. Might be worth a try, get their bellys full of frozen bloodworm and maybe see if they stop attacking?

Sorry but I need to interject - -

There is no way an ADF took down a Molly. Sorry, but they are too small with too poor eyesight and too small a mouth.

In the picture it seems as though you had a very ill molly who could not swim properly and was laying on the bottom resting due to being ill - the movement of the fins at the bottom would have attracted the frogs attention and it would have probably took a nip at the fluttering fins but this is in no way a skilled or adept hunter.

They are not cruel, calculating predatory animals but rather cute but dimwitted and nearly blind scavengers.

I highly suspect that there are other problems in your tank such as poor water quality or poor stock and that the weakened fish are lying at the bottom.

Is your tank cycled?
What was the last addition in the tank? Do you quarantine?

Thanks for your help.

It is my parents tank so I don't know if I can answer all the questions, they definitely killed with the final blow but there could be another reason it was at the bottom I suppose. :crazy:

The tank is definitely cycled as they have had it about 5 months.

The fish seem very healthy whenever I see it although there have been a few issues with violence from the mollies but those are sorted. It was a molly that got killed though. Will need more investigation.

Even though it's been setup for a long time, your parents could be "de-cycling" it, so to speak. Do they use dechlorinator with water changes? Are they careful with the media so that it never touches tap water?

Sorry but I need to interject - -

There is no way an ADF took down a Molly. Sorry, but they are too small with too poor eyesight and too small a mouth.

In the picture it seems as though you had a very ill molly who could not swim properly and was laying on the bottom resting due to being ill - the movement of the fins at the bottom would have attracted the frogs attention and it would have probably took a nip at the fluttering fins but this is in no way a skilled or adept hunter.

They are not cruel, calculating predatory animals but rather cute but dimwitted and nearly blind scavengers.

I highly suspect that there are other problems in your tank such as poor water quality or poor stock and that the weakened fish are lying at the bottom.

Is your tank cycled?
What was the last addition in the tank? Do you quarantine?

+1. They are a creature of opportunity not a savage predator. If they "happen" upon food, they will eat it whether it be sick fish, fry, shrimp, pellets, whatever cannot get away from them or happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time(like in front of it's mouth).

Just wanted to add my say and that yes it is definitely an African Dwarf Frog (looks like a male as I can just about see the white spot under his arm) and IMO it is a little thin. If your parents have just bought it the pet shop then this is to be expected as they are not often fed well at the pet shop as they are difficult to feed.

ADFs are really really blind. The food can literally be in front of them and they will miss it, often they will lie on top of it and then lose it that way!

Their mouths are also very small, if it isnt the size of a bloodworm, they wont be able to fit it in their mouths. They have no teeth or any jaw power, and everything they eat has to be swallowed whole, unless it is something that will go soft in the water like flakes.

IME ADFs are not able to feed if you just drop some food in the water. Firstly the food has to sink, and has to be literally right in front of their faces. I used to feed mine with long tweezers that I bought just for them and they take a VERY long time to eat. I have tried feeding them with turkey basters and it has not worked well for me (the food would squirt everywhere then the ADFs wouldnt be able to find it!)

Any uneaten food has to be taken away (unless the fish eat it) otherwise the water gets polluted.

I don't think that the ADF attacked the molly but I do think that it will try to eat its fins. But most fish are too quick for the frog to get a bite.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back