Is This A Problem

whip

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ohio, USA!
I have power heads running the ugf. Recently I have seen air bubbles coming out of the power heads. All water parameters are good Ammonia and nitrates are zero. I do weekly water changes, and I stir the gravel frequently. Is this normal, or a sign of trouble?
 
Is the powerhead completely submerged? Most powerheads have a small hole on the top of the outlet. That lets air in to mix with water. Is that hole underwater and not sucking in any air? Also, there could be trapped air in your UGF tray. Happens sometimes when you install the UGF tray. Could also be nitrogen gasses from anaerobic bacteria that turn nitrate into nitrogen gas. Anaerobic bacteria live in the dead spots of UGF systems. Where there is a lack of water flow to supply oxygen in areas like the far corners, thick layer of gravel, or under decorations.

May not be problem unless it is from dead spots in your UGF. How long have you had the UGF and when was the last time you tore down your tank? Regular maintenance on UGF require that you take out the UGF tray and remove the sludge build up. Clearing the blocked passages that direct flow to the lift tubes.
 
The tank is about three years old. About every six months or so I hook a hose to the outlet of my Magnum HOT. I use the hose to flush the filter. (It amazes me how much junk is below this, and makes me consider getting rid of the ugf.) I use the hose to reverse flow the ugf, and I push the hose through the gravel and stir up more "stuff". I do remove a lot of dirt this way.
 
I've thought about switching to sand and getting rid of the ugf, but old habits die hard. I would also have to get another filter to supplment the magnum. Time is also an issuse now. Thanks for the help.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top