Is This A Mouse Or A Rat?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

you could borrow my simon (not)! hes a true hunter and was born outside. we dont have mice in our house, but he does quite a job outside.

A bit hard to tell with the distortion from the trap, the face looks rattish to me, but I'm more used to seeing domestic mice and rats and they tend to have shorter noses than the wilds do.Three inches says either adult mice or young rats (4-5 week old domestic rats are approximately gerbil sized, wilds would be smaller, in general.) I would guess you probably haven't got BOTH because rats will hunt and kill mice.

I'd keep with the quick kill traps. Forget glue traps (awful) and poison. I am not a fan of poison as a means to kill them anyway, but half the time they just end up dying in the walls and then your house smells like dead rodent for a week or so and that is NOT pleasant. Also with poison I have a fear of my pets or wild predators (snakes, raccoons, opossums, skunks, foxes, birds of prey who are outdoors where they belong) getting ahold of a poisoned rodent and getting sick or dying.

A bit hard to tell with the distortion from the trap, the face looks rattish to me, but I'm more used to seeing domestic mice and rats and they tend to have shorter noses than the wilds do.Three inches says either adult mice or young rats (4-5 week old domestic rats are approximately gerbil sized, wilds would be smaller, in general.) I would guess you probably haven't got BOTH because rats will hunt and kill mice.

I'd keep with the quick kill traps. Forget glue traps (awful) and poison. I am not a fan of poison as a means to kill them anyway, but half the time they just end up dying in the walls and then your house smells like dead rodent for a week or so and that is NOT pleasant. Also with poison I have a fear of my pets or wild predators (snakes, raccoons, opossums, skunks, foxes, birds of prey who are outdoors where they belong) getting ahold of a poisoned rodent and getting sick or dying.

Agreed, those glue traps are aweful. My friend used them. One morning, he caught a mouse, and it was shreeking and half alive. Tricky bit was getting them out... :sad:

I think the whole idea of glue traps are that the mouse doesn't die and you can release it back into the wild. I would rather have them killed to be honest as they would only come back.

What about one of these

http://www.pestfreeproducts.co.uk/?gclid=CNeOrO6xqKcCFYKVzAodpidbDQ

Seffie x

I agree with William - multiple traps and blocking up all possible holes with expanding foam. A hole only needs to be as big as a pencil for a mouse to fit through it. Decomp is a horrible smell, and trapping is definitely better in that respect, but on the other hand, you only need 2 mice to make more mice and trapping might not keep on top of them unless you have hundreds of traps!

It's a mouse, and unless you want little mouse corpses rotting in your walls, go for the good old mouse traps that kill them instantly. Those are gross too, but poison terrifies me (mouse eats it, dies in the wall, or worse yet, mouse eats it, cat eats mouse).

Mouse or rat, the solution is the same.

Also, expanding foam alone won't stop them permanently. You should stuff the hole first with steel wool or the metal kitchen scrubbies, THEN use the spray foam.

Best of luck ...

What about one of these

http://www.pestfreeproducts.co.uk/?gclid=CNeOrO6xqKcCFYKVzAodpidbDQ

Seffie x
I considered one of these, but them again, we have a little Hamster and they won't appreciate that. :X :/

It's a mouse, and unless you want little mouse corpses rotting in your walls, go for the good old mouse traps that kill them instantly. Those are gross too, but poison terrifies me (mouse eats it, dies in the wall, or worse yet, mouse eats it, cat eats mouse).

Mouse or rat, the solution is the same.

Also, expanding foam alone won't stop them permanently. You should stuff the hole first with steel wool or the metal kitchen scrubbies, THEN use the spray foam.

Best of luck ...
That's what I've done, added a big slob of Toothpaste (mice hate the smell) then block the gap with metal scrubs. Then some poison just incase, which I think I will remove... :sick:

What about one of these

http://www.pestfreep...CFYKVzAodpidbDQ

Seffie x
I considered one of these, but them again, we have a little Hamster and they won't appreciate that. :X :/

... and, unless you run it forever, and in each room of your house, they aren't that effective.
Thats something to think about...though I think I will just give up. We're going to move house soon, so I'll leave it with the next occupant to deal with... :hyper:

Once you cut off their means of entrance and use the old-fashioned neck-snapping traps, your problems with them should be over. They won't die in your walls from poison and smell up the place, you won't be putting other living things in danger, and you can dispose of the little corpses immediately. It's not pleasant, but it's the quickest, easiest, least expensive method out there. And btw, they LOVE peanut butter.
biggrin.gif

perhaps... and this is only a suggestion...

buy yourself a western hat, some sunflower seeds and corn stalks to chew.. some hard liquor to drink and a shotgun and wait...

oh and if you get bored a rickety old rocking chair and a dodgy accent.

Here is the live mouse I release a few days ago, hiding under my Ushanka
P1030657.jpg

And here is the dead mouse, killed by poison. :sick:
P1040163.jpg

Both look like mice, don't you think?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back