Is This A Female Krib?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

yes i sure do, i had to go through a different lfs to get this female, after seeing what a real female looks like i dont think the other one even had any females, just a tank of like 20 males, thats terrible, tomorrow i am going to call this lfs and see if they will trade my smaller male for the one there...and then hopefully that will be the end of this hahaha, but these fish are very attractive...

one other question, i notice some peices of fins are a bit choppy (small parts missing) is there anything i can do to get these to grow back/

Yeah, one of the hazards of buying territorial fish is that they are all in the one tank at the lfs unfortunately and sometimes suffer some damage.

I have used melafix in the same tank as Kribs numerous times over the past year and there doesnt seem to be any problem with intolerance to it, so you could maybe think about adding some of that as it is beneficial to promoting the healing of damaged tissue and fins.

EDIT: Grammar.

I hope this all works out for you. Post when you get some fry, I hope that you have good luck with them and are able to get a bigger male. I feed mine frozen brine shrimp, tetra min flake, tubifex worms, shrimp pellets, and super soft krill( That is the actual name).

I feed mine frozen brine shrimp, tetra min flake, tubifex worms, shrimp pellets, and super soft krill( That is the actual name).

hehe, was making a joke when I asked what you were feeding her but thanx for posting. It's always nice to see what other people are feeding them.

Just made the joke cause 5 inches is really quite big for a female Kribensis, at least of the Pelvicachromis Pulcher variety, couldn't make any comment on the Nigerian Reds etc or any hybrids though. A male of 5 inches would be impressive for a Pelvicachromis Pulcher.

Can't remember if the standard in the Baensh Atlases is to include the tail or only body length but even then the tail could only add on about another half inch. That's a fairly impressive female you have there if your measurements are accurate. :)

The male is even bigger. They are regular Pelvichromis Pulchers and the man who sold them to the petstore is a "friend".

so i wake up this morning and turn on the light in my aquarium and hope that both fish are still alive and well...

and to my plesant suprise male and female are right beside eachtoher all colored up, then slowly as the female starts to wake up she starts fighting with the male and chases him into his corner where he now sits colorless and basically motionless, i think if my lfs will trade this male for the bigger one there i will do it, but this is a different lfs and they said they dont really want to have kribs anymore so i dont know if they will, if they wont im sticking with this guy i guess cuase i cant afford to buy another one this paycheque hahaha

WHY CAN"T EVERYONE JUST GET ALONG!

It is costumers right to return anything he/she is not satisfied with( Check your reciept) during the _ days of garntee( If your fish died, refund).So they have no right to denounce your claim on your earlier purchase. Hope that helped.

they did the exchange, however the new one isnt as nice as the older one but much bigger and thats what i need for this to work hes got a really big (not sure what term u usually us4e for this) fin on his back

ill let u guys know the reaction i get

I hope it all works out for you. I bought this new food for my kribs because I ran out of flake, It is called HBH African Cichlid ATTACK sinking pellet food and my kribs wont touch it. Anyone know why?

Well I come with great great news, immediatly there was no fighting at all, they just started to swim together the female followed after the male and then whould turn her head and tail away from him and shoe him her belly, i feel that this is a very good thing.

here are some pictures
pair1.jpg

pair2.jpg

and i have one question they are swimming aroudn happily together but i have a car ornament at the bottom of the tank and it has holes for them to swim in and out of and its all hollow, the female is going in there and vibrating while the male swims around the car and then they both go for a nice swim together and she shows herself, i know this is obviously good but what does the vibrating mean

this is a very exciting thing and it was worth all the running around.

Looking at her and the fact they were "paired" in the lfs there is a very good chance she is ready to spawn, mine took 24hrs to spawn upon release into the main aquarium although i dont expect the fry to survive, dont pay them to much attention and dont look for eggs as you already know they are very protective and can eat them if they feel the eggs are in grave danger.

BTW: Forgot to add that you have a fantastic female there, her colours and markings are simply awesome..

Awsome pics. The female looks so nice. She is about to lay eggs, did you see the small breeding tube justbehind the pelvic finns. I hope you becaome a daddy.

Awsome pics. The female looks so nice. She is about to lay eggs, did you see the small breeding tube justbehind the pelvic finns. I hope you becaome a daddy.
i dont see the breedihng tube or know what ure talking about soprry im not familiar with some of the terms

my fish never eat the sinking cichlid complete by hikari pelots, its unfortunate

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back