Is This A Female Krib?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think it's a female, seeing as how the anal fin is so rounded, not at all as pointed as the male in the picture a few posts above.
So confusing....

maybe if you gave us an approximate size, it'd be easier to know. since you say these are just babies, it is possible that they just aren't displaying the adult colors we would normal expect to see

That is a male becuse his spine is a light golden yellow and if it shines blue sometimes then it is definatley a male. Besides its pelivic finns are blue instead of gray or red or purple. I have had a male with rounded finns and it definatley wasnt a female. Rounded or not rounded finns isn't a very reliable method.

the fish in post number 17: the second fish is about 1.5-1.75 inches and the other one is slightly smaller, but all three kribs like to nip at eachother, with the exception of the biggest most colorful one not being at the recieving end but they all try to sneak up on eachtoher and nip tails, i understand this is the bavior of a buncha men

They are a bucha'a men. I am advising you to take the two men back and look for a female and if they don't have any, wait. Or order them online.

i guess ill take them back adn get two more and see if one of those works out hahaha, i swear that fish place is gonna start to hate me, i found some at another store but their fins were so messed up it was unreal, not interested in unhealthy fish from huge corporations

If they pair up the best food that you can feed them for best color and the most egglaying production feed them forzen cichlid blocks and frozen brine shrimp and regular fish flake. Feed the brine shrimp every 2 days and the cichlid blocks every 3 days. And feed them fish flake twice a day.

i guess ill take them back adn get two more and see if one of those works out hahaha, i swear that fish place is gonna start to hate me, i found some at another store but their fins were so messed up it was unreal, not interested in unhealthy fish from huge corporations

Surely if the lfs has any clue about their stock they will be able to sex them for you.. Quite bluntly if an lfs who sells fish cannot sex his stock (if of age) then they shouldnt be selling them.

yea, they were giving me good deals and their fish were in good shape, no rotten fins or shredded fins or anything like that. I went to the big pet store chains like pet land and found that they had one or two kribs but they werent in great shape, so i asked petland to talk to the man that brings them the fish to see if he could bring me in a female and they are gonna have it to me sometime next week, i am pretty excited

so my new question i have is:

I have the three males in there now. One of which is significantly more attractive than the other two and I want to keep him as my male more than the other two. Would you guys reccomend me taking out the two i dont want before i introduce the female? Or should i just put the female in let her choose her man and then take out the remaining two regardless of which one she chooses? If at all possible i want to keep the nice male in there, are they pretty much guarenteed to hook up?

with my kribs, i just bought 2 (1m/1f) and waited a few weeks. they didn't seem to be mind the lack of selection.

if you're wanting to breed, then i'd keep the brightest male. i bought mine as juvies, so i didn't get to pick based on color. i was always sad that my male wasn't brighter, because my female was so heavily colored that her whole body would turn purple sometimes. i'd have bred some incredible babies if i could have found a darker male.

Welll that was the origional planw as to get rid of the not so colorful males. I heard that male kribs only get color when they are breeding, but the one male i have is by no means trying to breed (unless hes a homosexual) and he gets super colorful all the time and i plan to keep him due to his extreme niceness, as for the other two i dont know what to do with them, i cant sell them for any money so i guess ill just give them to the lfs for free...any other suggestions

p.s. thanks alot ugys u have all been much help to me in my ttring so hard for some kribs, im excited, its nice to have some nature occuring in your fish tank. before i had just some community fish and these kribs are 100X more exciting.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back