Is This A Female Krib?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Here's a pic of my 2 i purchased yesterday:

Female:

IMG_7404.jpg

Male:

IMG_7411.jpg

They have taken up residence in a small cave i built from slate last night covered it in java moss and they defend the area like militia "though when the pair explore together they dont attack other tank mates, they do what comes natuarally they only defend their castle so to speak".

She spent over an hour re-arranging the entrance but now its done she sits with her head poking out and he stands sentry at the exit head butting anything that gets to close.

Nice Fish Kev I hope you have many succseful broods. I have been an aquariust for nine years, what would that make me, an expert, novice, begginer?

I have been an aquariust for nine years, what would that make me, an expert, novice, begginer?

I dont understand where this question has arose from..

But in principle it doesnt matter how long you do something its how well you understand it, some people sing all their life but never sound any better yet others are born with a natural talent to learn and improve on that over time.

How do you perceive yourself?

well, i got rid of the two males i didnt want and i def 100% for sure have a female now i am super excited, she is bigger than my male though just thicker it looks like, will this serve as a problem?

I will post somephotographs once i put her in, shes currently in the bag bobbing in the water, thanks for all the help, my search is finally over.

AHHHH

I put in the female and they seemto be raming into eachother and biting eachothers mouths

what do i do?

Edit: the female is really picking on the male especially I will try to capture a photograph

add more caves?

you can always try taking out both fish and COMPLETELY rearranging the tank. that way neither of them will feel like they already own everything and they'll just struggle to establish a pecking order.

i personally wouldn't worry too much about fighting. its when one starts chasing the other non-stop that i'd be concerned. that means the loser has been completely rejected instead of just subordinated.

since you had so much trouble finding a female, if you have to return one--take back the male!

I can take them out and rearange the tank i guess but then i have no place to put them in the mean time...she seems to be kind of leaving him alone a bit more now she chases him for a while then gives up and he looks stressed and sits in a plant

the female was kinda paired up with the one male they had her wtih at the pet store maybe that has sometihng to do with it

I don't really have any good advice for you, I'm just sorry you're having such bad luck!
I think I'd give them a day or so and see how they're acting. If they still are acting crabby maybe switch the male out? It seems I'd read somewhere that the fm can be bossy if she's not much smaller than the male. Maybe that has something to do with it?

That might be what it is, the male seems to be hiding from the female and in some of the strangest spots now, he looks very stressed out, he is in the top corner of the tank by the thermometer, she doesnt constantly chase him and sometimes i even see them together very briefly with no attacks but the male looks scared to death....

i guess ill just give it time like i have been haha, see what happens

this has been a long hard run guys thanks for stickin in there with me

That might be what it is, the male seems to be hiding from the female and in some of the strangest spots now, he looks very stressed out, he is in the top corner of the tank by the thermometer, she doesnt constantly chase him and sometimes i even see them together very briefly with no attacks but the male looks scared to death....

i guess ill just give it time like i have been haha, see what happens

this has been a long hard run guys thanks for stickin in there with me

Sounds like my relationship with the missus lol..

btw mine have spawned today got a vid once its converted i'll upload it..

as of now the female seems to be leaving the poor male alone, i managed to get an ALRIGHT picture of the new female, sorry its a bit blurry, I will try to get a picture of the male too just for confirmation of the sexes, maybe these two will warm up to eachother yet, ill just keep giviner

female.jpg

You just seem to have the worst of luck with kribs, don't you? I had the same problem about 8 months ago and I had to take the male back. The female shoul ALWAYS be smaller than the male. Please post a pic.To awsnser kev I perceive myself as a great learner. Te people at the petstores assune me as a "kid" who dosen't kknow anything until they get to know me, Then they ask me questions that they themselves cannot awnser. I just learn very fast. Then they go and tell my parents that I know more than they did at 20. Hope the top part of this response helped.

Nice pic. The female looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE KINDA LOOKS LIKE MINE BUT MINE IS 5 INCHES.

SHE KINDA LOOKS LIKE MINE BUT MINE IS 5 INCHES.

Lol, wtf are you feeding her? Weight Gain 4000? :lol:

To the OP: But I agree with what has been said, unfortunately you want to try and make sure the female is not bigger than the male. However the light at the end of your tunnel of troubles is....

If the female had paired off with a male at the lfs, what about going back asap and getting that male?

You shouldnt have much trouble pairing her with any male that is bigger than her but at least that way you can be as sure as you can that things will work out.

Good to see you finally managed to get a nice female. Good luck with the Kribs. :)

EDIT: p.s. Do you see what I'm talking about now when I posted that the females have a more triangular shape to their bodies than the eliptical shape of the males?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back