Is This A Female Krib?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Murray

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I origonally had two kribs, which were both male one was large and one was small, i discovered theyw ere both male so i took the smaller one back in hopes of getting a female and they gave me this:
newkrib1.jpg

I figured it was a female at first and the sure male that i already had was 2.5 times bigger than this new "female" so i took it back aswell to get another smaller male, and i am delighted to post these pictures of this beautiful male krib, it didnt take long for him to get adjusted as he ate very well almost immediatly.

newkrib2.jpg

newkrib3.jpg

is the first picture a female? because if its not its time to go for return number 3 :(

Females have rounded pelvic fins so the first fish looks to me like a female.

I have kribs (32 of them...31 of them being 2-3 cm fry lol) and I believe you most certainly have 1 female and 1 male due to the first picture krib being more rounded and the 2nd picture with pointed fins

A Male Krib has a long extended dorsal fin that ends in a point. The Female has a shorter dorsal fin thats rounded at the end. Also the female breast area will be violet when in a good environment.

The new one is definately a female. :good:

Well thankyou very much guys, its funnny because the male fish is the one with the red on the belly, the "female" doesnt have barely any color at all, do you think that these fish will still one day mate despite the size difference? I am glad that looks like a female I have been having some bad luck thankyou guys...

Oh one other thing, i know i should vary their diet, i feed them hikari complete cichlid sinking pellots, some tetra nutrifin flakes aswell as the hikiri frozen blood worms, what else if any should i feed them and how often should i feed blood worms

There shouldn't be a problem with them mating once the female's belly starts to redden. When that happens she will start to display to him, hehe I've even seen my females displaying to other females. They are such little tarts. :D

One other thing apart from looking at the fins that I have found useful when sexing Kribs is that the female belly is like the third point on a triangle with the other two points being along her spine. In slight contrast to that, the male body is more elliptical in shape.

I'll let someone with better experience comment on your questions concerning food although it might be an idea to think about occasionally supplying some live food or fresh veg for them.

Hope they go well for you. :)

I think it might be a male..

If you look on the tail, you'll see the eye spot.. females don't have the eye spot on the tail (I don't believe)

It might not be an eye spot, I cant really tell from the pic.. but if it does have an eye spot on it's tail, it would be a male.

i'm with vancouver. at first glance, it looked female due to the heavily rounded fins but closer examination revealed eye-spots on the tail and (if you'll notice) what looks like a truncated stripe in that fin. i think that's just a male who's lost the tips of his fins.

uhhhhhh, that sucks alot, ive taken these fish back tonnes its rediculous, it seems that the definate male is very colorful he shows himself to the other fish that isnt colorful at all its kind of funny, i guess i just gotta take ti back again, ill let it play out for a few days hiowever i have seen females with those spots im pretty sure

isnt this a male and a female and they both have eye spots on the tail fin
male_female_krib.jpg

Yes it is a female and I have had kribs for a long time and if they male isn't beating him/her up I would give two weeks and if it is a male it will grow its fins back. As far as feeding mine like super soft krill( That is what it is callled), frozen brine shrimp, tubifex worms and tropical flake from tetra min.

yeah, but look how poorly defined those spots are. there are some people who have been line-breeding for unusually spotty kribs; i bet that female comes from one of those lines. there's a guy around me who's doing that and about half of his females have those poorly defined spots.

but it couldn't hurt to just wait and see if she colors up in the belly. perform larger water changes than usual and that should get the kribs into "the mood" pretty quickly. breeding coloration is quite different between the sexes, so you won't have to get wrigglers in order to tell them apart.

also, a female's ventrals are the same color as her belly while a male's are blue.

well i took it back because i thought it was male, now it turns out it coulda been female, i grabbed two more so now i have that one def male and two others and i will let it sit for a couple weeks and see how it goes, if they are all three male i will be sad and once again go back to the pet store for another female, thanks for all the help guys, i put some more caves and hiding spots for them in there so il see how it plays out

the origional male seems very happy6 as his colors constantly are very bright, i like to watch how he reacts to things because his belly changes

kribs are cool

i just did a 40% or so water change

its a locally owned place they are very friendly, there are a few shops here in town that do that sorta thing, i find that petland also will if you have them

here is one of the latest trades lets see what you guys have to say about this one, i am also learning how to use my camera so please forgive on bluryness...

krib2000.jpg

thanks for the help :fish: :nerd:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back