Is This A Female Krib?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I am having a real hard time here guys, im sorry, i just dont quite understand all the factors in sexing these fish, i am trying so hard but heres a picture of the two i picked up

krib1.JPG

krib2.JPG

if one of these isnt female i dunno what im gonna do haha

well, these aren't colored like sexually mature females, but the fin shapes don't look even remotely male... nice, clear pics btw

i say just give it time with these two and see what happens :thumbs:

Thanks alot man. This whole changing around all my fish is stearing me in the right direction about sexing these fish. I am learning about that and how to use my camera. I will try to get a nice clear pic of the male I do have. One has been posted but it doesn't do anything for him.

So if these are both female....if one pairs up with my male, should I remove the other one?

According to the index here, the female has the eye spot(s) on her dorsal fin. Those fins are also more rounded than the males.
According to another site, if the colored line on the dorsal fin goes all the way to the end, it's most likely a male, while eye spots really are not a factor. It also says that the caudel fin is a distinct triangle shape on a male.

The first and the second one that I saw are for sure males, The black bar is way to wide for a female and your other male is very pretty mine looks like that too. The female will have a very round body and will have a cherry red or deep purple stomach. Her finns will be rounded and short. Can you tell me how to post a picture on here?

I upload them onto my webspace i have with the university of regina then put the direct url to the pictures between or you can clikc the little symbol above where u type here that has a picture of a tree and put the direct url onto there.

that sucks if they are both males.............
seems like everyone has something totally different to say about them.....

They both look male(second def is).

Heres a pic of a pair if it helps.
male_female_krib.jpg

It means Hope This Helps... sorry! :)
He's beautiful!!! What kind of set-up are they in? I've gotten very interested in these lately... and Christmas is just around the corner!

These fish are in a 20 gallon tank reasonably planted with a couple cave like items. they share the tank with 4 rummy nose tetras, 3 zebra danios and one pleco (which i want to get rid of i just need to find a home)

there are currently three (apparently all male) kribs, i have been trying to get a female and thats why there are three in there now but if what i want to happens works out there will only be two one male and one female and they will live happily ever after, however i have gone through these three i have now and three others which i used to have and traded for these to try and find a female and haev had absolutly no luck.

and as far as what you said ~T~ that picture is of adults and the fish i currently have are still very young and its harder to tell(with the exception of the one beautiful male i have) , especially at the fish store where there are so many in one tank and u have to try to pick out the right one, im tellin ya guys this is stressin me out.

are you guys talking about the pics on the first page of the topic or the pics in post #17? because the fish in post #17 do not have masculine fins at all--definitely rounded off naturally.

post number 17 is the fish i currently have and am trying to identify

maybe the pictures are unclear, i thought the fins on the real fish in my tank looked pointier than the pictures in post number 17 but maybe thats just when they swim around i really have no idea

since there is so much uncertainty i guess ill just rock these three kribs for a while and see if i can get a pair....... thanks for all the help once again

Go to www.google.com and go yo pictures, and the put Female Kribenis. They are the ones with the rounded bellys and are usually purple. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back