Is This A Bad Idea?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

buffalogal

Reaction score
Just back from the library (books are cheap there!) and found a book on aquarium biotopes that showed keeping epiplatys dageti monroviae with australes. Is that a really bad idea? Would they cross breed, or are they like apistogrammas who won't if the body shape/color is too different?

And of course on the flip side, if it was an okay thing to try, how big a tank would you need. Also, they had a big piece of decorative cork in the tank. Anybody else use this? They sell it in the reptile section at my lps. Anyway, the book was not specific, although it did say that all the fry would probably be eaten by the epiplatys. I'm more interested in having the fish than having babies, but I don't want the killis to live uncomfortably. Also, trying to worm in one more fishtank... :blush: Let me know what you think before I start scheming.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I do understand that crossbreeding killis is a big No-no! That's why I posted here when I saw this and why I'm asking for your experience. I wouldn't do it if there was a chance that they would cross-breed.

For starters they will not cross breed. Two completely different species.
Both are excellent choices for the beginner/novice.
I would use bogwood, Java Moss and Salvinia natans as a surface plant. Only the most robust fry will survive give the water conditions are right for breeding. You will probably find that you will have more fry from the Epiplatys than the Australe as they are easily bred in standard (if thats a good word) moderatly soft and a neutral pH 7. Australe although they will thrive in the water mentioned above, but really like their water a lot softer and a pH around 6 for sucess. That is not to say that you wont get fry....you will...just dont expect great numbers.
Also Epiplatys will (in my experience) mostly leave their fry alone providing they are well fed. The Australe will consume their fry more eagerly again in my experience.
Provide a tight fitting aquarium hood/lid for both species and provide them with a varied diet which should always include some live.
If you need to know more about breeding Aphyosemion australe then see my pinned topic at the head of the section.
Equally if you need some information on breeding Epiplatys dageti monroviae then just ask.
Regards
BigC

Thanks again Big C! What a wonderful resource you are! Unfortunately the australe pair I thought I was going to get today fell through. :angry: But on the bright side, I have more time for research. What size tank would you recomend to try this combo? I have a free 5 gal, but I'm sure that's only big enough for a pair of one species. Also, are there any other killis that can be kept together in your experience? I really want a little bowfront for my nightstand. I'd love a 16 gallon killi tank, but my boyfriend has noticed that we have a lot of fish tanks. Could probably get away with a 10 gal though... :shifty:

but my boyfriend has noticed that we have a lot of fish tanks.
I have the same problem with the wife LOL
As I breed killifish rather than keep them so to speak. I dont do the gallonage thing I prefer to look at the tank sizes.
If I was going to do a little setup like you suggest I would go for a tank around 18x10x10 or 18x12x12 and furnish it with what I suggested above.
And maybe include about 4-6 dwarf corydoras.
Killifish are a funny species in regards to compatibility some are quite large,boisterious and predatory whilst others can be quite small and delicate.
A nice spectacle would be Lampeyes as they shoal, provide them with a good water current though.
I have even seen these in a biorb and they look great. (not very colourful I know)
Bad luck you didn't get the Australe, but you can start a little Ep. dageti community along with the corys.
Regards
BigC

Bad luck you didn't get the Australe, but you can start a little Ep. dageti community along with the corys.

Thanks again Big C. I have the australe now! Such cuties! LFS got some in again. I'd actually sort of given up. I'd like to do a nano tank with them and maybe a single male scarlet badis. I posted it on the oddball forum, but no answers yet. I didn't want to double post. I guess it still falls under the same heading though. Your opinion?

I cant really about the Badis as I have never kept one with killifish. But given the Badis small size and bright colouration, I would ere on the side of caution with a fully grown Australe male it may turn out to be perfectly fine but if you do decide on the pairing then observe at every opportunity to see that things are going smoothly.
Regards
BigC
P.S. Remember the tight fitting lid.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back