Is There A Problem With My Heater?

Libbyd23

Reaction score
Hi guys

This morning I went to take soe uneaten food out of the bottom of my 39litre and noticed a huge difference in the temperature at the bottom of the tank to the top. I touched the heater and it is warm so it is working and is set at 27 oC. Looking at the thermometer on the side of the tank said 24-26 oC. I've never noticed this problem before - do you think it's maybe a one off or should I go get another heater? I don't want my little neons to be distressed.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Libby

what size is 39 ltr in inches
so it gives me some sort of size
to go by also what wattage is your
heater

Heater is 25W. Size of tank is height 16inches, width 16inches, depth 8inches.

Just so you know the temperature at the bottom of the tank was very cold - almost like the same temperature straight out the tap and the top was the usual temperature.

Just so you know the temperature at the bottom of the tank was very cold - almost like the same temperature straight out the tap and the top was the usual temperature.

i would of said a 55 watt heater
would of been better if the room is
cold as a 25 watt heater will be running
at max output all the time . is there
any flow in the tank and also is there a lid on the tank

in my micro reef there is a 55 watt heater

Yes there's a lid and the flow comes from the filter and also I have an aeration block.

Yes there's a lid and the flow comes from the filter and also I have an aeration block.

i have a 28 ltr tank and
i have a 55 watt heater
i think maybe a heater up
grade i think the heater
is struggling to keep
it at the right temp

this is a set up photo of my
micro reef tank on a test run
you can see were i have put the heater
014.jpg

I think that sounds like a good idea - I'll head out today and get a new heater.

Another question - do you think not having the correct temperature has affected the health of my fish? They had some fin rot which I have been treating for a long time with no improvement.

I think that sounds like a good idea - I'll head out today and get a new heater.

Another question - do you think not having the correct temperature has affected the health of my fish? They had some fin rot which I have been treating for a long time with no improvement.

it might as when its cold it slows
there metabolism down which means
it slows healing times down .also
leave's them open to white spot

Just to let you know I purchased a 50W heater (there were no 55W) which looking at the box is the correct one for the tank. I'm quite angry really as I was given the tank as a gift from a friend. When she bought the tank it came with the filter and heater so you think the shop would know better to supply the right heater! When I looked at the 25W heater in the shop it clearly states it is for a smaller tank! Hmm... I guess we can never fully trust our LFS!
Anyway the temperature is nice and warm so that should get things back on track. Thanks again for the advice.

Just to let you know I purchased a 50W heater (there were no 55W) which looking at the box is the correct one for the tank. I'm quite angry really as I was given the tank as a gift from a friend. When she bought the tank it came with the filter and heater so you think the shop would know better to supply the right heater! When I looked at the 25W heater in the shop it clearly states it is for a smaller tank! Hmm... I guess we can never fully trust our LFS!
Anyway the temperature is nice and warm so that should get things back on track. Thanks again for the advice.

no problem that's what we
are here for

Was about to say-25W is for tiny tanks :lol:
But hopefully, you learned that you should never trust you LFS but you should trust members on the forum like the Biffster :D ;)

how can you have 2 different temps in the 40l tank that have air pump and running filter..?

its impossible.

how can you have 2 different temps in the 40l tank that have air pump and running filter..?

its impossible.

Well, it is possible. The air pump isn't on constantly as comes on midday and, as I originally mentioned, it was in the morning I put my hand in and noticed a huge difference in the temperature at the bottom of the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back