Is the nitrite to high to put cardinal tetras in?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish Fanatic34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am planning on starting a community tank with 10 cardinal tetra the tank has cycled for 14 days and my ammonia is all good, The only problem I have is that the nitrite is at <0.25 (Photo attached is my water compared) I have seen people do fish in cycles and just wondering if it would be safe to add the tetra.

Would a simple water change fix my problem?
1697437302255.png

Last edited:
You mean nitrite. Yes anything above zero is too high for fish. But it should be zero very soon. Have patience.... It’ll be worth it. :)

the tank has cycled for 14 days
How have you cycled the tank? Have you added ammonia at the times specified by the method on here?

A cycled tank is one which can remove a 3 ppm dose of ammonia to zero ammonia and zero nitrite in 24 hours. Since you have nitrite, the tank is not yet cycled.

To be fair a tank that can remove any amount of ammonia to double zeros in a day is cycled. 3ppm is far more than a tank full of fish will produce, so 1ppm is enough in most cases. :)

TwoTankAmins' method calls for 3 ppm, so to avoid causing confusion I quote his method ;)

I am planning on starting a community tank with 10 cardinal tetra the tank has cycled for 14 days and my ammonia is all good, The only problem I have is that the nitrite is at <0.25 (Photo attached is my water compared) I have seen people do fish in cycles and just wondering if it would be safe to add the tetra.

Would a simple water change fix my problem?
View attachment 328891
A large water change would temporarily fix the problem. Key word being "temporarily." It would just come back the next day. If you add fish now, you're risking the fish and actually extending the cycle process since a fish in cycle takes longer than a fishless cycle. So your best bet is to be patient and give the cycle a little more time.

Never add fish to a tank with ammonia or nitrite above zero.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back