Is Seachem Flourite too sharp for bottom dwelling creatures?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes, Flourite is indeed rough, as my poor cories found out. Snails shouldn't care, Bristlenose, all I can say is I would never use Flourite or anything similar in an aquarium. Soft sand suits everybody, and plants grow as well in inert sand as any of these so-called plant substrates that are bacterially more dangerous for substrate fish..

Yes, Flourite is indeed rough, as my poor cories found out. Snails shouldn't care, Bristlenose, all I can say is I would never use Flourite or anything similar in an aquarium. Soft sand suits everybody, and plants grow as well in inert sand as any of these so-called plant substrates that are bacterially more dangerous for substrate fish.
So should I cap with an inch or two of sand?

So should I cap with an inch or two of sand?

If you already have the Flourite in the tank, then sand would probably protect the Bristlenose, as this loricariid does not (so far as I know) dig like some do, or to the extent that cories and loaches dig down, and with loaches rearrange things to suit themselves. Of course, the sand and Flourite will eventually mix (due to water movement through the substrate) with the sand being smaller grained ending up at the bottom. If you do not have the Flourite in the tank, I would not use it. That avoids any and all problems.

If you already have the Flourite in the tank, then sand would probably protect the Bristlenose, as this loricariid does not (so far as I know) dig like some do, or to the extent that cories and loaches dig down, and with loaches rearrange things to suit themselves. Of course, the sand and Flourite will eventually mix (due to water movement through the substrate) with the sand being smaller grained ending up at the bottom. If you do not have the Flourite in the tank, I would not use it. That avoids any and all problems.
Are there any negative effects to the sand and Flourite mixing? I already have the Flourite in the tank. If I didn't want the substrates mixing, could I use pebbles instead?

Are there any negative effects to the sand and Flourite mixing? I already have it in the tank.

No, not so far as I know. The problem with all "plant" substrates is bacterial for substrate fish, and roughness for the same. If this is a good sized tank, Flourite does limit your options for substrate fish, which would annoy me to the point of getting rid of it, as indeed I did after having it for two years. Dumped it in the back garden where it could do no damage to fishes. :fish:

No, not so far as I know. The problem with all "plant" substrates is bacterial for substrate fish, and roughness for the same. If this is a good sized tank, Flourite does limit your options for substrate fish, which would annoy me to the point of getting rid of it, as indeed I did after having it for two years. Dumped it in the back garden where it could do no damage to fishes. :fish:
If I capped with pebbles instead (medium-sized) would the substrates mix? Also are pebbles suitable for fish such as bristlenose? Thanks

If I capped with pebbles instead (medium-sized) would the substrates mix? Also are pebbles suitable for fish such as bristlenose? Thanks

I can't see Bristlenose having issues with pebbles, though they might move them around with their grazing. Any two substrates will mix, that is one of the problems with two.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back