Is My Platy Preganant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonahnguyen

Reaction score
Is my platy pregnant? The guy from my lfs said she was but that was two weeks ago.

You can assume that all female livebearers are pregnant, all the time.

She'll get fatter and fatter until eventually she'll 'square off'; that means her belly will develop corners (it will look like she's swallowed a box!). Once they square off, they usually give birth within a day or so, although they can 'hold' on to the fry, if they feel stressed (by being a a small 'breeding box', for instance).

O
fluttermoth said:
You can assume that all female livebearers are pregnant, all the time.She'll get fatter and fatter until eventually she'll 'square off'; that means her belly will develop corners (it will look like she's swallowed a box!). Once they square off, they usually give birth within a day or so, although they can 'hold' on to the fry, if they feel stressed (by being a a small 'breeding box', for instance).
Ok thanks!

She probably is pregnant if she has been in a tank with males :) It can take quite a while for the fish to have there fry, I think that its better to leave all the fish where they are so that she doesnt get stressed and just make sure there are some hiding places such as some rocks or a tunnel, when my fish had fry I found them in my floating plant so maybe put some plant on the top of the water for them to hide in once they are born aswell and just do daily checks to make sure she hasnt had them and just to be on the safe side you could get a breeding box for the fry once they are born to keep them out of the way of some of the big fishes mouths :) but I think its better to leave the mother in her usual tank :) post some pictures of the fry once she has them, baby platies are super cute! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back