Is My Lightbulb Trying To Die On Me?

Aussie_Dog

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Central Alberta, Canada
Okay, a couple of months ago, one of the lights on my 60gal started a phase where it'd flicker when I'd turn it on, kind of hesitate, then the light would come on and it'd be fine. But it graduated into what it does now, which is to not respond at all when I hit the switch, but if I wait an hour (maybe less), the light will eventually come on and it'll stay on. Since the bulb on the other side of the tank works fine, I haven't been worrying about it, though I kept meaning to come on here and see just what I'd need to replace, lol.
 
starters are only 10p or so, so replace them first. A bad starter can damage a tube by preventing the correct voltage from getting to it. It's worth replacing starters every 6 months or so. Or at least when the tube is changed.

If the tube has very black ends then it's definately time to change the tube. A little bit of black is fine as it simply shows the tube is used.

Tubes loose their output spectrum after 9 months or so of use. A tube should be replaced yearly at least, or more regularly for a planted tank to keep the plants healthy (specific light colour spectrum required for photosyntheses).
 
just to add, assuming you have actually got a starter (not an electronic ballast), try to get an electronic one. They are a bit more expensive (about £3) but tend to be kinder on the tubes and when they go they don't torture the tube over a long period of time!
 
Okay, a couple of months ago, one of the lights on my 60gal started a phase where it'd flicker when I'd turn it on, kind of hesitate, then the light would come on and it'd be fine. But it graduated into what it does now, which is to not respond at all when I hit the switch, but if I wait an hour (maybe less), the light will eventually come on and it'll stay on. Since the bulb on the other side of the tank works fine, I haven't been worrying about it, though I kept meaning to come on here and see just what I'd need to replace, lol.

fingers crossed, its not a juwel tank. if so, the solution is a totally new light-bar. but, more often than not, its a " starter" you will need.
 
Well, the bulb that's causing the problems, it's never been changed, and I've had this tank for over a year (since December 2007). The other bulb was changed simply because I wanted to try out a new bulb, but I left the other one alone.


Okay, so I just went and did something I should have done a while ago, which was to switch the bulbs and see if the bulb did the same thing on the other side, or if the newer bulb started to fail on the same side. And now I'm pretty sure it's the florescent starter. The "faulty" bulb was switched from the left side to the right side, and it works fine. The newer, perfectly fine bulb was put in the left side and it's not working. And neither bulb has black ends, except the older bulb does have greyer shading at the ends. Thanks for the responses, I'm going to go out and get a new starter tomorrow.
 
Do the light tubes have a black maek on the insde of the glass at either end?

This is a sign it need replacing as it's 18 months old which is ok but the age they start to get problems.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top