Is my guppy fat or pregnant

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

GraceFish

Reaction score
I just noticed that one of my guppies was looking larger than it used to. I havenā€™t noticed this before but my dad has been feeding it for 5 days and i donā€™t think he was over feeding them. When I bought them it said they were all males but i know sometimes they get the genders wrong at pet stores and they can accidentally put females in with the males. I attached a before and after photo. Please help.

Attachments

• 938CF180-B4D8-4DA3-813C-69B30A2C5BF9.png
    938CF180-B4D8-4DA3-813C-69B30A2C5BF9.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 709
  • 91A34D76-25EB-4BAE-AB15-A69FE509D1E8.jpeg
    91A34D76-25EB-4BAE-AB15-A69FE509D1E8.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 578
Hi, and welcome to the forum!:hi:

I can't tell, but that looks like a male lemon guppy, but it is to blurry to tell when i try to zoom in on the image, a better photo would help. Male or not, it could be bloated (if not a pregnant female).

Whatā€™s the gender? I canā€™t tell from these photos but the coloration and the ā€œbeforeā€ look like a male to me.

For it to become that large that quickly I doubt itā€™s just pregnancy as pregnancy should be more gradual. To me this really doesnā€™t look like just pregnancy, it looks much more like bloat.

Few questions-
1. Tank size
2. Parameters
3. Do you use a liquid test kit
4. What other inhabitants
5. What do you feed and how much
6. Can you ask your father how much he fed
7. Any other symptoms
8. Temperature
9. Is it cycled

What I would start with is fasting. Fast for 2-3 days and feed pea or daphnia on the 3rd.

If you are not certain of the gender you can post a photo of the anal fin and I or someone else should be able to ID it for you.

Hm, it could be female, but it could also be a male, if itā€™s a male, it looks a bit overfed and might have bloat, even itā€™s a female it still looks a bit overfed but it would be pregnant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to piggy back off this post I don't know how to post my own question but I was wondering about my guppy we have had it a while and it seems to have gotten fat I think it's a girl but I'm not 100% and she is hanging around the heater

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back