Is My Balloon Molly Pregnant? If Do When Will She Drop Her Fry?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ranish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Got a balloon Molly yesterday with a tank that I brought and previous owner told me that she is pregnant. I am confused as it is so hard to tell with balloon mollies. Please have a look and tell me what you think. If she is pregnant how soon do you think she will drop? Thanks in advance below are some pics of her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 659
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 636
It is very hard to tell with balloon mollies, but she does look like she's squaring off, so I would guess at two or three days. 

Only a guess though!

I know right? I have a couple of them and I am totally confused. This morning there were a couple if eggs and 2 premature fry in the breeding box. I don't know whether she has finished having them or whether they were just born early. I have put her in the box again. Thanks so much for your reply.

The stress of being in breeder boxes often causes fish to abort fry, I'm afraid.

You'd be far better off leaving her in the main tank; add lots and lots of fine leaved plants if you want some fry to survive.

fluttermoth said:
The stress of being in breeder boxes often causes fish to abort fry, I'm afraid.

You'd be far better off leaving her in the main tank; add lots and lots of fine leaved plants if you want some fry to survive.
I had trouble with mollies aborting in those too.  My guppies don't mind though.  I ended up using a butterfly net for the mollies, which worked fine. :)  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back