FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Dopatri

Reaction score
Hi, yesterday I discovered my Molly gave birth, I found 4 teeny tiny little fry all hiding together so I scooped them up and put them in their own little hatchery. However, one of them Iā€™ve noticed is struggling to keep afloat. It can swim, but it spends most of the time on the bottom. Itā€™s almost as if it really has to try hard to stay floating in the water. And then it just sinks back down cause it looks so exhausted. Iā€™ve also noticed than when I compare it to its siblings, itā€™s tummy is more flat. Could it be an underdeveloped swim bladder? Or maybe some sort of internal deformity? Apart from the flat tummy I cannot see any obvious signs of deformity visually. I really donā€™t want to euthanise this little guy if I can give him a good life. Has anyone had experience with fry like this? If he never does manage to swim properly, can he live a good life as long as I make sure he always eats and doesnā€™t get bullied by other fish?

I would say yes..... a lot of fry come out sideways, backwards all sorts of ways. It's not an easy thing. I've had many live barring fish that had a few fry that just weren't strong enough. And they do just that, lay on the bottom where bacteria collect and make them weaker. Sorry to be so honest.......
Damn. Nature is one cruel mistress.. I suppose only time will tell with this one. Iā€™m not completely getting my hopes up but Iā€™m still going to try my best with it! Iā€™m learning everyday with this, as Iā€™m fairly new to the hobby.

It could be still developing or have a genetic problem caused by inbreeding.

Balloon mollies are inbred and have shorter bodies than normal mollies. This means they have more health issues, particularly internal health issues.

If it hasn't improved/ resolved in a week, euthanise it.

"Or maybe some sort of internal deformity?"

These fish are PURPOSELY bred to be deformed, a cruel and inhumane practice.

I wish people wouldn't buy them, it just encourages the the breeding of fish that will suffer their entire (short) lives.

I wish people wouldn't buy them, it just encourages the the breeding of fish that will suffer their entire (shory)lives.
Don't blame the op or customers. Most people don't know the fish are deformed, however the shop staff do. Blame the importers and the stores that sell them. If they didn't bring them into the country and put them in tanks for sale, then nobody would be able to buy them and the practice would stop. And blame the dirt bags that make them.

We need to make world wide laws to ban the practice of making deformed animals. They do it to dogs, cats, horses and every other animal out there. Most of the deformities make it harder for the animal to survive.

Damn. Nature is one cruel mistress.. I suppose only time will tell with this one. Iā€™m not completely getting my hopes up but Iā€™m still going to try my best with it! Iā€™m learning everyday with this, as Iā€™m fairly new to the hobby.
Hey, everyone has already helped you out it seems.

I just wanted to say that most fry come out in all shapes. I have had several batches of fry that just weren't strong enough and several fry that had terrible spine deformaties.

It could be still developing or have a genetic problem caused by inbreeding.

Balloon mollies are inbred and have shorter bodies than normal mollies. This means they have more health issues, particularly internal health issues.

If it hasn't improved/ resolved in a week, euthanise it.
The fry I made the post about is still living, however I lost 1 of its siblings (which appeared healthy) which I find interesting. Iā€™m starting to wonder if perhaps this particular fry is just not as developed as the others, as it is noticeably smaller. Kind of like the runt of the litter? If thatā€™s a thing in the fish world. Seems to be struggling a little bit still but I am noticing slight improvements as weeks go by. I will stay optimistic!

"Or maybe some sort of internal deformity?"

These fish are PURPOSELY bred to be deformed, a cruel and inhumane practice.

I wish people wouldn't buy them, it just encourages the the breeding of fish that will suffer their entire (short) lives.
Yes unfortunately I found out about why balloon mollies have that unique look due to deformities, weeks after I bought them. I had no clue about them when I got them, I just thought this was what they were meant to look like. So I was sad and disappointed when I found out. But I am just glad that at least they are having a good life in a better tank, and have more room to themselves, than opposed to being stuck in a cramped pet shop tank.

Don't blame the op or customers. Most people don't know the fish are deformed, however the shop staff do. Blame the importers and the stores that sell them. If they didn't bring them into the country and put them in tanks for sale, then nobody would be able to buy them and the practice would stop. And blame the dirt bags that make them.

We need to make world wide laws to ban the practice of making deformed animals. They do it to dogs, cats, horses and every other animal out there. Most of the deformities make it harder for the animal to survive.
Definitely, I had no clue they were deformed when I got them. I just thought that was what they were meant to look like. So I was so disappointed when I find this out. Yes I agree! I feel bad for buying them, because I unknowingly supported this practise by doing so. But at least I am giving them the best life I can!!

The fry I made the post about is still living, however I lost 1 of its siblings (which appeared healthy) which I find interesting. Iā€™m starting to wonder if perhaps this particular fry is just not as developed as the others, as it is noticeably smaller. Kind of like the runt of the litter? If thatā€™s a thing in the fish world. Seems to be struggling a little bit still but I am noticing slight improvements as weeks go by. I will stay optimistic!
Yes there are runts in the fish keeping world. They are usually deformed or have some sort of health issue that makes it harder for them to find food and get around.

Lets get this straight. These fish are genetically modified to have a curved spine and a large belly. This causes...problems.... Fry usually don't survive, and they die very early.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back