Is It True?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bubblej17

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi all, i was on here a few days ago and read a post that said black substrate can stress albino cory's is this true?
i read this post after putting my corry's back into a spawning tank with freshly laid fine black gravel and plants and pebbles they have been in there for three or four days now with no signs of eggs im just wandering if the black gravel thing is true or am i just be paranoid lol, any ideas?

My albino peppers are on black sand. They certainly breed. ICEEGRL's are too and they spawn.

Whether or not it is in fact stressful, is an interesting idea. If anyone knows for sure, I would love to hear. I would guess that it is speculation. But as I said in the other thread, it seems reasonable that it could be true. But again I doubt that it is tested and proved, so it would be a matter of opinion and speculation.

Many hobbyists keep their fish in tanks kept as close to the fish's natural environment as possible in order to minimize any possible stress.

Of course that would eliminate most community tanks where fish from around the world are kept together in a community.

Hi bubblej17 :)

If your corys aren't spawning, there are many other things to consider. If they are mature and nicely conditioned, it might just be that it's too soon to expect results. Three or four days is nowhere near long enough that you should even begin to be concerned.

Please relax. The pretty black gravel is probably stressing you more than it is the fish. ;)

The only thing that tends to take place with Corys that are kept over black substrate it that their colours darken to try and blend in better, however albino's tend to show a more golden colour over black.

Ian

My albino peppers are on black sand. They certainly breed. ICEEGRL's are too and they spawn.

Whether or not it is in fact stressful, is an interesting idea. If anyone knows for sure, I would love to hear. I would guess that it is speculation. But as I said in the other thread, it seems reasonable that it could be true. But again I doubt that it is tested and proved, so it would be a matter of opinion and speculation.

Many hobbyists keep their fish in tanks kept as close to the fish's natural environment as possible in order to minimize any possible stress.

Of course that would eliminate most community tanks where fish from around the world are kept together in a community.
thanks, its probably me just being impatient as usual, just glad others have black substrate to :rolleyes:

Hi bubblej17 :)

If your corys aren't spawning, there are many other things to consider. If they are mature and nicely conditioned, it might just be that it's too soon to expect results. Three or four days is nowhere near long enough that you should even begin to be concerned.

Please relax. The pretty black gravel is probably stressing you more than it is the fish. ;)
yeah your right about it stressing me more than them lol, they have spawned before and did it within days of been put in their tank as i said to jollysue its probably me being impatient, i've just done them a cool water change now and will load them up on bloodworm after hopefully that will trigger them off!

The only thing that tends to take place with Corys that are kept over black substrate it that their colours darken to try and blend in better, however albino's tend to show a more golden colour over black.

Ian
funny you should mention that i did notice when cleaning them before they have gone slightly golden in colour, interesting lol thanks for all your replies i will let you know if they deliver soon!! fingers crossed

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back