Is he (pleco) okay?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Kindofafishnewbie

Reaction score
We found our plec like this in our tank yesterday after around half an hour of putting a few treatments in, he was so stiff and rigid we genuinely thought he was dead. I gave him a prods and moved the ornament he was in but he wasnā€™t all that responsive. After prodding him 2/3 times he quickly moved to the back of the tank. He has been fine today but the event unnerved us a little. After doing a little research we found a few conflicting things, such as comfortable plecs sometimes sleep upside down, to heā€™s on his last legs. Heā€™s forever sucking on something but he doesnā€™t seem to eat anything we throw in for him ie algae tabs, cucumber or my other fish food such as blood worms. Does he look okay to anyone? Thank you.

Attachments

• ECFA0E4D-3CC1-4D42-B418-A19AE1CDC681.png
    ECFA0E4D-3CC1-4D42-B418-A19AE1CDC681.png
    369.9 KB · Views: 105
I've never had a pleco but I think people may want to know the treatments, the dosages and the tank volume to rule in/out their toxicity.

What is your tank size? What are his tank mates? What are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, and gh?

H
I've never had a pleco but I think people may want to know the treatments, the dosages and the tank volume to rule in/out their toxicity.
Hi, tank size is 100 litres, I put in Melafix (roughly 12ml), Interpet anti fungus & finrot (20ml) all dosages were as recommended on bottles for size. Thanks

What is your tank size? What are his tank mates? What are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, and gh?
Iā€™m not sure of the parameters right now, Iā€™m going to do a full water test tomorrow. As for his tank mates, I have a few small fancy goldfish, a weather loach and 4 nerite snails and just added 3 amano shrimp too. Heā€™s swimming around just fine now, I was just wondering if anyone elseā€™s pleco does the above (picture). Thanks

My pleco eats whenever I put anything into the tank and if I bump into the tank or get o close to the tank she swims away. And yes mine does sometimes sit in one spot like yours does right in her cave. Can you get a better picture.

How many are a few goldfish? Your tank may be overstocked. It's important that you test your water as soon as possible.

We need the water test results stat.

If he is a new fish, it may be stress. Also, I find that my Pleco eats better in the dark. They like the dark much better. If you have doubts, turn the light off. Chances are, he will start to eat.

My pleco eats whenever I put anything into the tank and if I bump into the tank or get o close to the tank she swims away. And yes mine does sometimes sit in one spot like yours does right in her cave. Can you get a better picture.
Hi, I have 2/3 videos from the ā€œincidentā€ if youā€™d like me to send you them over email or something? Thanks

Hi, I have 2/3 videos from the ā€œincidentā€ if youā€™d like me to send you them over email or something? Thanks
If they won't attach to the website upload them to youtube and post the link here :)

He doesn't look right does he? My guess is toxic shock from using 2 different anti-bacterial meds at the same time. As they are made by different companies they will not have been tested for compatibility. Mixing chemicals is generally a bad thing. Hope he is better now.

I didnā€™t even think of that but itā€™s done now. See below
He doesn't look right does he? My guess is toxic shock from using 2 different anti-bacterial meds at the same time. As they are made by different companies they will not have been tested for compatibility. Mixing chemicals is generally a bad thing. Hope he is better now.
Hi
Thank you. He does seem much better, he just had us a little worried at the time.

Most reactions

Back