What's new

Is An Air Stone Needed?

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Treating a rescue betta for ich. I usually add an air stone for my other fish. However, since bettas are use to 80ish temps and have labyrinth organs to breathe air, do they need one? Just thinking. I also added salt.

OP
Deanasue

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Yeah, but I’m not adding meds. Just heat and salt. :dunno:

Tttay89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My friend has currently got ich and is treating with heat only and his oxygen on a test went from 10ppm to 5ppm on a scale of 0-10 just from raising the temperature, I'm unsure of what reading is danger to betta I assume anything below 3-4?

Metalhead88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
As you mentioned, bettas can take oxygen from the air, so I'd assume you'd be ok.

With that being said, I'd still add the air stone to be safe. The higher temperature will likely reduce oxygen in the water.

Tttay89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Also do betta not usually live in tanks with no water movement or air in fish shops anyway? I suppose it depends on how many other fish their are with it.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t. If you already have it and you’re it going to go buy a new one, then I’d go ahead and put it in there. Just because you already have it. (Kinda confusing, lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
@Deanasue your my go to person when it comes to Betta! ;) I do not think you have to have an air stone with a Betta but I would have one just to help maintain the water quality.

Fishmanic

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t. If you already have it and you’re it going to go buy a new one, then I’d go ahead and put it in there. Just because you already have it. (Kinda confusing, lol)
In other words, if you have one, use it!

OP
Deanasue

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I have one going. Thanks, guys! :)

Colin_T

Reaction score
Air stones don't just aerate the water, they circulate it too so the water temperature is even right throughout the container. This is especially important if you are treating white spot because the water can have different temperatures at different levels if you don't have it circulating.

OP
Deanasue

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I don’t se them in betta tanks because they don’t like turbulence. Only when treating the tank.