Is 2 Gallon tank too small for betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi TFF, I’ve seen this 2 tank on sale in my LFS, Do you guys think it’s too small for betta?

@essjay

2 gallons can work if needed and if you are an experienced fish keeper. But if you are buying a new tank I would go bigger , 5+ gallons. 2 gallons doesn't give enough water for dilution and the smallest mistake can cost you.

Yep, too small. Your better off using a 20 litre plastic bucket.
Hmm...may be amanos would work

Also Colin why do I have to wait for 3 weeks before putting killifish eggs in the water?? I just bought Nothobranchius rachovii eggs from my LFS and dont know what to do, they said to wait 3 weeks

Yes, to small. That is the short answer.

I had a Better in a 2.5g tank a while ago. He was unhappy and barely had any room to swim. If you can, get a 5g, or better yet, a 10g.

2 gal is too small for Amano Shrimp too! You might get away with some neocardinia.

Hmm...may be amanos would work

Also Colin why do I have to wait for 3 weeks before putting killifish eggs in the water?? I just bought Nothobranchius rachovii eggs from my LFS and dont know what to do, they said to wait 3 weeks
Barry, don't waste your money on little tanks that hold less water than a bucket. They literally aren't worth it.

-----------------
Nothobranchius killifish lay eggs in the mud and they require a dormant period before they hatch. The dormant period allows the eggs to develop completely and then the embryo goes into a state of suspended animation until the eggs get wet. Within a few hours of the eggs getting wet, they hatch and the fry start swimming around. It's a survival adaptation that allows the eggs to survive summer when the creeks dry up.

I have never kept bettas in anything smaller than 23 litres - or 6 gallons.

You can buy a 5 gallon bucket at walmart for a few dollars. Why waste money on a tank that holds less than half that amount of water? Bettas love to swim around. Mine is very active. Bettas should really be kept in at least a 5 gallon tank. It's just not fair to keep them in anything smaller.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back