Introduction

Wow! You can add whatever you like with that amount of filtration. :cool: I think both the cherry barb and corys schools will like it if you beef them up a bit.
 
I did have 4 sterbai but 2 died and the cherry barbs used to be 6. I was just learning about fish stocking limits and how plants function and I did go a bit bonkers with the plants. So there's not a lot of ground space for cories to rummage. I think I'll plump for some cherry barbs just now. I'll prob get 6 to add as my older ones might pass soon. They're 2.5 yrs old and the female is a grumpy old girl. Might try some dwarf cories. I've not had them yet. But I'll make sure the parameters are good for them. My tanks are all around 26 -27°C and some of the fish I've thought about like lower temps. My water is also very soft, living in Scotland. So I have a ph around 6 -6.5 across the board. Thanks for all the input guys. I'll take it on board and make my decision this week (payday. 😄).
 
Welcome to the forum, Shaz! Six tropical planted tanks is impressive, especially for someone who says they're still a newbie after 3 years. You'll find plenty of helpful advice and inspiration here from fellow aquarium enthusiasts. Looking forward to seeing photos of your setups when you're able to post them. It's always great to see different aquascaping styles, plant selections, and fish communities. If you ever need equipment recommendations, plant care tips, or advice on finding a good aquarium shop, this community is a fantastic resource. Enjoy the forum and happy fishkeeping!
 
Welcome to the forum, Shaz! Six tropical planted tanks is impressive, especially for someone who says they're still a newbie after 3 years. You'll find plenty of helpful advice and inspiration here from fellow aquarium enthusiasts. Looking forward to seeing photos of your setups when you're able to post them. It's always great to see different aquascaping styles, plant selections, and fish communities. If you ever need equipment recommendations, plant care tips, or advice on finding a good aquarium shop, this community is a fantastic resource. Enjoy the forum and happy fishkeeping!
Thank you so much. I'm one of those folk who jump into hobbies feet first but I did keep reptiles before fish and as I could no longer afford exotic pet care the next step from aquatic turtles to fish was a logical step and so much easier than I thought.
 
Wow! You can add whatever you like with that amount of filtration. :cool: I think both the cherry barb and corys schools will like it if you beef them up a bit.
I'm gonna go for it. Another 6 cherry barbs and possibly a couple of different cories. Am currently looking at dolphins and skunk in my lfs. Is there any reason I shouldn't mix the cories. I have salt and pepper and panda in one tank but they were added together.
 
I think so. People have very different views on AI here, but I've found it helpful. Not as a definitive source, but as a sort of supercharged search engine.
But it looks like you can mix and match. See quote from Google AI below.
=====

Yes, different species of Corydoras will sometimes loosely school or shoal together, but it is not guaranteed. While they might tolerate and hang out with other species, they generally feel most comfortable and exhibit the most natural, stress-free behavior when they are with a group of their own kind. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

How Their Schooling Works
  • Color Variations: Varieties of the same base species (like bronze and albino corys) will frequently school together as if they were identical. [1, 2]
  • Mixed Shoals: In larger tanks with limited numbers of each, you may often see different species grouping together for safety. However, even when mixed, they frequently prefer to follow their own species if the group is large enough. [1, 2, 3, 4]
  • Solitary Drifters: Sometimes, a cory of one species will simply latch onto and follow a group of a completely different species. [1, 2, 3, 4]


Best Practices for Your Tank
To ensure your fish feel secure and display their best social and foraging behaviors, follow these guidelines:
  • The "Rule of 6": Aim for a minimum of 6 individuals of the exact same species. [1, 2]
  • Prioritize Single Species First: Instead of buying two of three different species to make a group of 6, it is always better for the fish's well-being to get a single group of 6 of one kind. [1, 2]
  • Mix and Match: If you have a large enough tank, you can absolutely keep different species together. Just try to provide at least 6 of each specific type so they have the option to mingle with their own kind when they want to. [1, 2, 3]
 

Most reactions

Back
Top