Internal Parasites? Internal Bacterial?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Assaye

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Tank size: 14 litres (hospital tank). Normally 15 litre section of 30 litre tank.

pH: 7.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
kH: 90-100
gH: Approx 220
tank temp: 27 C

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Split fins, very thin, very pale and grey, lying on the bottom more but still active, still eating with gusto, still interacting with me and his environment. Started to darken and change colour from the day I got him but I assumed he had marble gene due to his unusual colouration. Very small fish - I have had him for 4 months and he is still as tiny as when I got him at 3 months old. Have not seen him poo much.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Between 25% a week and 50% every two weeks, depending on how busy I am. Nitrates never go above 20 (usually 10) and pH does not change.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Zeolite and carbon in filter.

Tank inhabitants:

One other male betta, who seems in excellent health.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

He's had a few tank changes since I have had him and his darkening has been consistent throughout. However, recently he has had a tank change (just before Christmas), new plants (live and silk - 1 week) and a new tank mate (divided tank - 3 weeks)

Exposure to chemicals:

Unknown. I am careful about deodorants and air-freshener. Should not be a problem.

Digital photo (include if possible):

Here is his colour transition (don't worry about the lump, it went weeks ago) -

newboy-1.jpg

DSC03151-1.jpg

DSC03262-1.jpg

DSC03471-1.jpg

DSC03874.jpg

it sounds bacterial to me.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing, excess mucas, darting, laboured breathing.
Has he lost weight due to not eating.

Also soak his food in garlic juice to boost his immune system.

it sounds bacterial to me.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing, excess mucas, darting, laboured breathing.
Has he lost weight due to not eating.

Also soak his food in garlic juice to boost his immune system.

No signs of flicking, rubbing, darting, excess mucas or laboured breathing. If it wasn't for his weight, delicate fins and colour change I would think he was in perfect health.

Always eats like a pig and he gets at least two meals of garlic infused brineshrimp a week. If I soak his pellets, how should I prepare the garlic juice?

Is that last pic him now.
As he looks dreadful.

If he's eating like pig and he's still losing weight it point towards internal parasites, fish tb, bacterial.
Darkening in colour can indicate all three deseases aswell.

For now I would use tetracycline. But he will need isolating as antibiotics wipe the beneifical bacteria out in the filter.

Is that last pic him now.
As he looks dreadful.

If he's eating like pig and he's still losing weight it point towards internal parasites, fish tb, bacterial.
Darkening in colour can indicate all three deseases aswell.

For now I would use tetracycline. But he will need isolating as antibiotics wipe the beneifical bacteria out in the filter.

That last photo was taken today.

Where can I get tetracycline? Last time I asked a vet for antibiotics I got told to f-off. If it is parasites, this won't help? Is there any way I can treat for both parasites and internal infections?

The meds I have at my disposal tonight are: Interpet No. 9, Myxazin, Steraxin and Furanol II.

Oh, and he's already isolated :good:

i would try the interpet and get an anti-internal parasite med and treat simultaneously.
the make garlic food-simply chop some garlic, put it in a cup with a bit of tankwater and pre-soak the food for 10-15 minutes.
best of luck
cheers

There furanol by jbl, but you can only use it in issolation as it wipes the beneifical bacteria out in the filter.
But it dosn't treat fish tb.

There a sera med for internal parasites. Get you a link.

http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mall/productpage.cfm/Aquatics/_nematol%20001/198936

To be honest loraxchick the interpet med not that good.
If you can issolate I would try and get hold of some antibiotics.
As the betta in very poor health.

As I said, he's isolated and he is being given daily water changes as I don't have a filter on the isolation tank (always gets nuked by meds).

Would treating with Furanol II and Sterazin at the same time be OK?

Where can I get the anti-biotics from in the UK?

EDIT - is it safe to try Sterazin until I can get hold of a more reliable internal parasite med?

EDIT II - Just bought the Sera med. I really hope it arrives soon.

Don't mix the meds.
Sterazin no good in my opinion. But if you want to try it that's your choice.

Do any of the family have antibiotics.

Don't mix the meds.
Sterazin no good in my opinion. But if you want to try it that's your choice.

Do any of the family have antibiotics.

What should I treat for first, then? Opinion seems divided on whether it is bacterial first and foremost or internal parasites with a bacterial infection piggybacking on.

Got the Sera coming so will wait for that.

I don't live with my family anymore. I'll ask and see if they can send something in the mail but short of faking an illness I'm not sure how to get hold of them.

You can buy furanol online by jbl.
I would buy that med.

if the fish did have internal parasites it best to treat them first.
Then you back up with a bacterial med.

is it possible to remove his substrate from his tank, so we can check when he goes to the toilet.

You can buy furanol online by jbl.
I would buy that med.

if the fish did have internal parasites it best to treat them first.
Then you back up with a bacterial med.

is it possible to remove his substrate from his tank, so we can check when he goes to the toilet.

He has no substrate in the isolation tank. Been looking out for poop and seen a couple of bits of debris that could be poop, but not sure.

I've got the Furanol already, so that's sorted. Can I treat with that for a few days, switch to the Sera stuff after a 100% water change, and then swap back to the Furanol? Simply asking because it will take a few days for the anti-parasite stuff to get delivered.

Thanks for all the help =)

That's fine.
Let me know how you get on if you don't mind.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back