Injured Albino Catfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sexysa6188

Reaction score
Hi there - I noticed a few days ago that 1 of my albino catfish was missing his bottom barbels. All the levels in the fish tank are fine, so I'm not quite sure what caused it, or if they will grow back. My worry is that although he's swimming around just fine and looks healthy (well, minus the missing barbels), I haven't seen him eat or rut around in the gravel, and he doesn't just relax and lay at the bottom of the tank like his other albino catfish-mates. He is constantly swimming around. Does it sound like he has a disease that I can buy medication for, or is he doomed? I appreciate any insight or suggestions! Thanks!

well, i dont know about albino cats, but my pictus catfish lost his barbels, and was acting weird, but they grew back, and now hes doing fine.

Welcome to the forum Sexysa.
I find that Corydoras catfish always seem to do better with either very softly rounded gravel or sand. The abrasive gravels and even some of the more abrasive sand can wear the barbels down to nothing. In the wild, you will most often find cories on a muddy bottom or a leaf littered bottom so any of the coarser gravels or sand can create a problem for them. They find their food more with their barbels than by sight.

Hi Sexysa6188 :)

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Your cory might have damaged his barbels in either of two ways. If you gravel is rough or sharp, they might have been eroded by it. Or, he might have contracted a bacterial infection. This could come about as a result of uneaten food or other debris collecting in the spaces between the gravel. Harmful bacteria can grow because of it and if the cory was weaker than the others he might have been more susceptible to infection.

If he is still eating and the damage has not resulted in the loss of his entire barbels, they might grow back. Since they use them to find their food, they have a harder time surviving without them.

Please give your substrate a good cleaning and be sure to do regular water changes. It's the best thing for him. If other symptoms develop, please post in the Emergency or Corydoras sections. :D

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll give the tank a good cleaning, and see if his symptoms get any better. Cross your fingers!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back