Increasing filter

Add a second filter or buy a filter with a larger capacity for floss and sponges. Is that what you’re asking? Or how to increase the biological filtration in your existing filter? Well, if that is the question, you could add additional floss to the filter box, or more sponge. You can find some good videos online for optimizing your filters, both for HOB filters as well as larger sponge filters.

Add a second filter or buy a filter with a larger capacity for floss and sponges. Is that what you’re asking? Or how to increase the biological filtration in your existing filter? Well, if that is the question, you could add additional floss to the filter box, or more sponge. You can find some good videos online for optimizing your filters, both for HOB filters as well as larger sponge filters.
I wanted to know how to increase the filtration because I want to add salt and I have to increase the flow I guess. I have a filter with a kind of hose that I can turn to a open setting which makes bubbles. Is this going to increase it? I also have a small filter in the tank as well but it doesn't do much

well there is a difference between circulation, & filtration, & on common aquarium filters, usually the finer ( more ) filtration, the less flow they will provide... if you are adding salt, you are likely looking to increase circulation???

If I buy a bigger filter how do I install it? Is there a process for adding a new filter to the tank?

well there is a difference between circulation, & filtration, & on common aquarium filters, usually the finer ( more ) filtration, the less flow they will provide... if you are adding salt, you are likely looking to increase circulation???
Yes how do I increase circulation?

You don't need to add filtration when adding medication, you need to increase aeration. This can be simply achieved by using an air stone powered by an air pump. Many medications can reduce the amount of oxygen in the water and exposing more water surface to the air increases oxygen uptake into the water. Using an air stone churns the water up allowing more oxygen to dissolve.

Is the Bioflow filter glued to the tank like some other Juwel filters, or attached by suckers? If it's suckers, is the filter as high as it will go in the tank?
Or possibly attach some tubing to the outflow temporarily and bend it to point at the water surface?

Edit - Juwel's website says the filter is attached with suckers so if it's not as high as it will go, move it up.

A few cm of siphon tubing should fit over the outflow to point the water at the surface.

Last edited:
I'd like to get an air stone. I've also lifted the filter up but I'm not sure how to add the tubing to the out flow. Would that make the water blow out of the water? (I'm not sure I understand what to do with the siphon tubing)
I have a little bit of a pipe that connects to a small hole on the outflow. It can suck in air and it makes some little bubbles. This looks like it would be making more oxygen. There are bubbles

I was thinking that of a bit of flexible tubing such as comes with a water change siphon was the right width to slot over the filter's outflow, that could be pointed upwards slightly so that the outflow was right under the water surface. Looking at the photos on Juwel's website it looks as though the outflow is a few cm lower down than the top of the filter.

But since it does have a venturi (the thing which causes bubbles to come from the filter) will also help as the bubbles rising to the surface churn up the water allowing better gas exchange at the surface.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back