In or out?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So here's the thing. I have a 50ltr tank fully aquascaped, ie loads of plants with 15 small green neon tetra, a pair of scarlett badis and 4 oto's to scrape biofilm off the wooden architecture.
I don't have much room to fit a good size internal filter in the tank and have bought one of the Oase models that has a daul filter system, ie sponge on one side in a compartment of its own, then a separate compartment split into 2 with activated charcoal in one and another finer sponge in the other. However, it seems unable to handle things and I need to do daily water changes of up to 70% as ammonia, nitrate and nitrite all build up during the day. I don't overfeed and in fact don't even feed daily some times.
I can't use a HOB filter as it'll hover over my electricals so I'm looking out for a small under the cabinet canister filter. I have them on other tanks that are larger and with plenty of room to stow them, but the standard sizes I seem to bump into all seem way too large to hide, and in fact a bit over the top for the flow rate.
Has anyone an idea on where such a beast may be bought, or any other way to solve the problem.
-------------------------
Just found this, anyone got experience of them or critique?

Last edited:
Wow I did not know aquariums are a thing on Twitch! Thats awesome!

I dont understand whats going on with the Filtosmart though? I have one, admittedly not in a tank that ever had fish (set the tank up in lock down, shut it down before the shops opened).

How long has it been set up is it cycled?

Have you ever heard of Pond Guru on YouTube he shows you how to 'pimp your filter' by making some modifications, I do remember in this one he did highlight some issues with the filtosmart in terms of flow and getting the water to flow over the bio media could be difficult.

Could be worth a watch?

Wills

Ah, thanks but the Oase filter I have is internal.
However now you've drawn my attention to the range of their canister filters so I know a strockist locally and will ask them about the 100 model.
Twitch is something my grandson introduced me to for the games he plays so I saw an opportunity to use it for showing my tanks. Sometimes they are offline for one reason or another, and sometimes I'm showing a different tank.
I wonder if anyone has found a way to control individual fish on the stream yet?
The one on show right now has neon green tetraa about 18mm long, the Scarlett Badis about the same sort.t of size though stockier, and 4 oto's. Oh yes, and a single Santa Maria Endler. I got 4 of them a couple of weeks ago and 3 of them have jumped for freedom, something that Endlers are apparently renowned for. If only I'd known

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back