The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Desiree

Reaction score
10 gallon tank
1 African dwarf frog (fine)
1 Japanese shrimp (fine)
2 assassin snails (fine, and ill explain why I have them shortly)
6 serpae (blood) tetras

Had the tank neatly a year (no manor problems). I got these bread things to help control nitrates/nitrites.
Water specs are good (last i checked)
Water changes weekly(beginning biweekly this week do to my current issues)

I had the perfect set up until I bought some plants at a big chain store. Apparently they don't check for pond snails hence the assassin's and my amateur self didn't do my research on adding plants (they can't keep up, so I pull out what I can). But now I'm also noticing a growth on a few of my fish. First I thought one had ick or a fungal infection so I treated the tank with pimafix and melafix simultaneously for over a week and they appeared to look back to normal (last week).

Well, i took a close look at them this evening and see something different and on several of them. I've googled my heart out and can't figure what's going on in my tank now. Please help.

Can anyone identify what's on them and how to fix? Do i need to remove everything and start over so to speak? Any suggestions/advise is truly appreciated. I'm quite attached to my tank mates. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20170704_235101.jpg
    20170704_235101.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 227
  • 20170704_235229.jpg
    20170704_235229.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 225
  • 20170704_235239.jpg
    20170704_235239.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
  • 20170704_235243.jpg
    20170704_235243.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 259
Could you post the exact water specs?
Had the tank neatly a year (no manor problems). I got these bread things to help control nitrates/nitrites.
What sort of bread things? Sorry if I'm completely forgetting something obvious.
Is the tank heated?

In addition to providing the test kit number please tell use the brand name of everything you add to the water (fertilizers, medicines, water conditioners and etc.) and how much of each you add. also prior to your current problem how often did you do water change and how much water did you change each time. Also do you know your water KH and GH values. If so please provide the numbers.

The reason we ask fro this is water quality is not just about nitrogen. Also some people in the past have stated that test results were fine when in reality they were unsafe. So please provide use the numbers.

As to pond snails I have not seen anyone guaranty plants to be free of pond snails. They are extremely hard to eradicate in a short erode of time before sale and if the plant goes to a fish store it may get contaminated with then at the store. The best think to do with plants is to put them in a quarantine tank and periodically check for snails and if you see any treat the plants. I would guess most people on this forum have pond snails in there tank.

Could you post the exact water specs?

What sort of bread things? Sorry if I'm completely forgetting something obvious.
Is the tank heated?

Thank you for the response. I'll get the water specs to you later today (I'm out of strips). I meant bead not bread, lol (new phone). It's called Purigen by Seachem. And the temp fluctuates between 78 and 82. I only heat in the winter as my room keeps it warm in the summer.

Thank you again!

Ok, so I bought a testing kit that will arrive Saturday. I the meantime, I went out and bought API 5 in 1 aquarium test strips. Lot #64835.

I completed a Before & After water change test. The results are as follows:

Ph7/7
Nitrate 80/20-40
Nitrite 0-5/0
KH 80/40-80
GH 180/180

I was unable to test chlorine and ammonia at this time. I believe those tests will be included in the kit I ordered.

I change the water every Wednesday and I change approximately 20 to 25% each time.

The products I use regularly are as follows:

1. Purigen by Seachem (I swap it as needed).
2. New filter by Aqueon (replaced last Wednesday)
3. API leaf zone 5ml w/ water change
4. Aqueon Water Conditioner 5ml w/ water change
5. Aqueon Amonia Neutralized 5mlw/ water change

2-3 week's ago I treated for what I thought was ick then what's pictured above with the following (I made sure to remove the carbon filter throughout the entire duration of treatment):

1. Pimafix 5ml daily for approximately 10 days
2. Melafix 5ml daily for approximately 10 days

I stopped treatment after about 3 days when what I thought might be ick appeared gone. But then that greyish- black stuff appeared on one (now 2) and the ick -looking stuff is back on the same one I initially treated).

Please advise

I change the water every Wednesday and I change approximately 20 to 25% each time.

The products I use regularly are as follows:

1. Purigen by Seachem (I swap it as needed).
2. New filter by Aqueon (replaced last Wednesday)
3. API leaf zone 5ml w/ water change
4. Aqueon Water Conditioner 5ml w/ water change
5. Aqueon Amonia Neutralized 5mlw/ water change

OK numbers 4 and 5 are both conditioners you only need one. Second your tank has been set up for about a year. Normally estrablixhed tanks such as yours probably will have enough bacteria to keep your ammonia and nitrite at safe levels. You state your nitrite is at 0-5/0. what do you mean by this? are you saying the strip range is 0-5 and you are reading zero? If you are reading 0 you are OK on nitrite. Purge is ok to use and shouldn't cause any problems. Using two water conditioners can be harmful to fish (overdosing). Also you should dose based on the amount of water replace in your water change So for a 24% water change do a 1.25ml dose. 50% water change dose 2.5ml. Preferably add the water condition to the new water before you add the water to the tank.

I have big concern about item 3 Leaf zone. Leaf zone fertilizer contains potassium and iron. That is only 2 of about 15 nutrients plants need.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_nutrition

By only adding 2 nutrients you are ensuring your plants will use up most if not all of any nutrients in your tap water. If left in this state you will eventually get a difficult to control algae issue. Furthermore this will elevate potassium and iron to levels that may not be safe for fish and that could make them susceptible to disease.

You need a better fertilizer. I currently use Sachem Flourish comprehensive. But if I were to order a replacement bottle I would probably try Brightwell aquatics Florinmulti fertilizer. You can get either on amazon.com. These fertilizers have the best nutrient coverage of all aquarium fertilizers. Sachem is deficient in nickel but that hasn't been a problem for me. Bright well is only deficient in nitrates (if I am reading your test results correctly you don't need to add nitrates) and phosphorous (typically not an issue in an aquarium). Most other fertilizers on the market are deficient in 4 or 5 nutrients or even more as in the case of API leaf zone, deficient in almost everything.

Until you get an new fertilizer I would recommend doing 50% water changes at least once a week until your fish get better. I would also not any more API leaf zone and only use one water conditioner. I think it might be best to do 2 or 3 water changes this week (50%) and then wait a few days to see if things get better. If symptoms persist treatment may be advised but I have never had a sick fish so others maybe able to give you better advice on treatments. One other thing you could do is get a UV aquarium sterilizer. These are basically small filters with a UV lamp inside. You cannot see the lamp or light from the outside (If you could see it, it would harm you and your fish). It will kill any algae or parasites floating freely in the water which will help the fish. it will not do any harm to the fish.

Note I would not add anymore fish to your aquarium. I think your frog pushes your tank up to the maximum.

As to test strips many people on this site don't like them because they have heard bad things about them or some have a hard time reading them. I have tested my Tetra 6 in 1 test steps against known solutions and other tests and have concluded they are accurate if used correctly. For now I will assume they are reading correctly. As to ammonia test strips I don't like them (you can easily get a false positive result. Use whatever test methods you like. Its better than having no test kit.

Thank you again for all the information! I have tossed the leaf zone and will change the water as suggested. I didn't realize i was using 2 conditioners so i will use one at a time now and at the proper dosage. I'm definitely looking into those other fertilizers and the uv light. Thank you for all that information.

I had used the test strips, but am switching over to the API freshwater master kit. I'm excitedly awaiting its arrival this Saturday. Chemistry 101 here I come, lol.

You don't know how much I appreciate you. thank you again!

Most reactions

trending

Back