Im Thinking Of Buying A Orca Tl550

Harry1996

Fish Herder
Reaction score
im thinking of buying a orca tl550. is it any good? also how much fish can i put in.

i have been thinking about how much live rock i should put in would 12kg for the main display be good. also how much live rock rubble do i need for the back copartments.

Welcome to the Orca Club :lol:

There are many of us on here that have or have had an orca 550

Take a look at the many journels for the tank, some are in the nano section and others are in the Journels section. You might want to even read mine, but if you do make sure you have a strong cup of coffee to keep you awake, it's long :p

I think the 550 is a great tank to learn the basics with but you will soon want to upgrade - most on here do within a year :lol:

Seffie x

I have to agree with seffie, this is a great starter tank, it has everything you need to start up with.
The amount of fish really depends on their size but around 5 small/medium size fish would be fine.
I would highly recommend it :good:

thanks everyone here is my fish list 2 clown fish, 1 six line wrasse and some kind of goby. i know its a bit erly to think about it as i havent even got the tank yet.

here is my list to buy Orca tl-550

Hydor koralia 2 power head

JBL Symec VL Filter Floss

API Saltwater Master Test Kit

Hydrometer

Coral sand 16kg

Carbon

Bucket

Aqua Vital Aquarium Heater 100w

Egg Crate 600mm x 600mm is there eny thing i have left out im buying ro water from my lfs

good news im getting the orca tl550 for chrismas i know this is long time to wait but should have the money then.

what coral could i keep in the orca i waas thinking coral like these Toadstool leather coral ,Spotted mushroom ,Yellow polyps,Assorted colony polyps,Red mushroom coral,Devils Leather Finger. are these ok? :unsure:

here is my list to buy Orca tl-550

Hydor koralia 2 power head

:good:

JBL Symec VL Filter Floss

you will only need this in emergencies

API Saltwater Master Test Kit

Salifert would be better

Hydrometer

Refractometer would be better

Coral sand 16kg

Aragonite sand :good:

Carbon

If you are planning on having sofites and hard corals - activated carbon not foam

Bucket

ask in your lfs if they will sell you an empty salt bucket, they might even give you one

Aqua Vital Aquarium Heater 100w

Try to buy an non glass heater - oh hang on, you don't need one, they come as stock on the Orca

Egg Crate 600mm x 600mm is there eny thing i have left out im buying ro water from my lfs

Many of us don't use egg crate

Christmas is not far away amd it will give you time to reasearch and plan - woo hoo

Yep your coral list is all fine

Seffie x
ps there are a few more things you need:

Syphon
spare heater for water changes
spare powerhead for water changes
magnet
temp gauge
water container

thanks seffieuk and trod for all your help

what cuc would be good for a orca tl 550

Harry have your read mine and Trods thread, Journey to the salty side, part one (in the nano section)?

CUC I would say:

couple of hermits
3/4 astreas
10/15 vibex or bumblebees, ceriths etc - sand sifting snails

Seffie x

ps

Harry, PM bigc or ski and ask them to move this thread to the journel section so everyone can watch your whole journey :good:

thanks for all your help. i have just started reading your thread im only on page 5 lol :lol:

I went with the K2 in my 550 but I would recomend 2 x K1`s as you can get a better control of the flow I am having to add a nano to mine now as the flow is poor behind my stones.

Any leathers, zoas and rics are fine I would look at euphyllia acans and fungias as well in fact most LPS will be fine in the 550.

The sixline can be aggressive look at the pink streaked wrassse or flashers for a less aggresive wrasse.

Blennys are another good addtition to the tank very nice character fish.

thanks morri :good: can you tell me some good easy to keep blennys

There are many but a few of my favorites are the Flymo, Bicolour and tailspot.

Most reactions

Back