The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fate2006

Fish Addict
Reaction score
okay, so I put some fish into my albino clawed frogs tank, and he doesn't seem interested in them at all... he seems to be eating the sinking shrimp pellets I give him, but nothing else... he's growing very slowly and I'm a little concerened... is it normal for an inch long ACF to ignore live food? or is there something wrong?

Are we talking the actual clawed ones or the dwarf ones?The dwarf ones dont usually eat fish.What size are the fish anyway?Anyway why are you feeding it live fish when its eating pellets.Fish carry all sorts of nasty diseases, especially the kind sold as feeders :sick:

I'm feeding it guppies that I've bred... Also, it's an albino african clawed frog... I said it's an albino clawed frog... there aren't any dwarf frogs that are albino... Also, ACFs need live food to suppliment their diets... Yes he's getting pellets, but he barely eats those and is still quite skinny for an ACF...

Yeah same, since when was there any nutritional benefits to feeding live fish?
The only difference between feeding live and dead fish is that the ACF has to kill the live feed first (or during eating it) :blink: .

-gives the evils to three-fingers-

Oh come on Cobalt, dont warp another thread into a ****** chatroom. Keep your personal fights to your own threads.

Sorry about that everyone.

Please watch your language!!!

I am distressed at some of the comments in this thread, which I will address first...
Are we talking the actual clawed ones or the dwarf ones?The dwarf ones dont usually eat fish.What size are the fish anyway?Anyway why are you feeding it live fish when its eating pellets.Fish carry all sorts of nasty diseases, especially the kind sold as feeders :sick:
Feeding fish to clawed frogs is beneficial. For one thing, feeding live gives them something to be active for. Mine on simple pellets was BORING, just sat on the bottom and waited for food, it wasn't looking healthy at all. I use feeders from petstores all the time, 0 problems, I think a few batches of bad fish here and there have destroyed your views on feeder fish. NOT ALL FEEDER FISH ARE DISEASED!

I'm feeding it guppies that I've bred... Also, it's an albino african clawed frog... I said it's an albino clawed frog... there aren't any dwarf frogs that are albino... Also, ACFs need live food to suppliment their diets... Yes he's getting pellets, but he barely eats those and is still quite skinny for an ACF...
Techniqually, they can live without live food, however I don't recommend leaving live food out of their diet.

Why do you say they need live food? Never heard of that before
You don't " need " to, but it is EXTREMELY beneficial to a ACF. Gives them something to chase, gives them a large meal/more natural meal (you can't say a pellet is more natural than a live fish), these frogs are PREDATORY frogs, they do 1000X better with live food in their diet.

Yeah same, since when was there any nutritional benefits to feeding live fish?
The only difference between feeding live and dead fish is that the ACF has to kill the live feed first (or during eating it) :blink: .
Nutritionally, no its not the best option, thats why you feed live fish AND (key word) pellets. Lol there is a difference, with live they have to CATCH the food, this makes them more active, what challenge is there in eating a dead chunk of fish?? Live food promotes activity, mine went from pellets and sitting on the bottom to swimming all over looking for his next fishy meal! Big difference!

Fate2006:
To get your frog to start taking the feeder, try using a small net and catching the guppy, lower the guppy (in net) towards the frog, so the frog can jump into the net and grab the fish without the fish swimming away, after you've done this a few times your frog will start to recognize the fish as food items. Or another option, kill a guppy and drop it in, it will eat it like a pellet, but it will be a different shape, they will learn the shape as food and eat it more readily. Try either/both of those and you should get him onto some live!

I still see no point in feeding live food to a frog..

Saying it's a more natural meal doesn't tell me why you need to feed them live food.

I still see no point in feeding live food to a frog..

Saying it's a more natural meal doesn't tell me why you need to feed them live food.
Obviously you failed to read my post as I repeated why multiple times, maybe you needed be quoted directly and addressed in a seperate post.

The frog doesn't NEED live food. HOWEVER, live food GREATLY improves the quality of life of the frogs, and their growth. Feeding live gives the frog something to do (chase the fish) It will learn that food is out there, it has to look for it, and your frog will SEARCH for the food, making your frog 1000X more active. Mine went from moving once an hour, to swimming 90% of the time. I'd say its quality of life improved, I don't think any animal is healthy sitting in one spot... Also, feeding live food improves its growing rate, mine grew slowly on pellets and was boring, on live fish she grew MUCH faster and was a healthier overall frog, she never has periods of where she is underweight or looking underfed (easy to underfeed with pellets). These frogs if fed strictly on pellets become boring, simply moving to grab the floating pellets once an awhile, and can EASIlY go underweight. I had mine go underweight OVERNIGHT.
To keep these frogs successfully and looking nice with only pellets, you have to feed them every 3-4 hours, yep 6-8 times a day, they go through their system faster while not helping their growth. Take note your frog is still sitting on the bottom all day. However, with a few feeder fish in the tank at all times, the frog when its hungry can have a larger meal on its own time, it gets to eat its fill, and you get to save time. Yay!

Don't talk down to me .. got it .. it's not my fault you don't know what you're talking about.

enter shaking head emoticon here :
Lol, who are you to tell me how to speak? I do know what I'm talking about. I have an african clawed frog, this is what I've observed, and what I've read etc. I was simply making suggestions. Because I say live fish is wrong I don't know what I'm talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back