I'm a mystery snail grandma!

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mcostas

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently got a second mystery snail, which my current one immediately latched on to. Wasn't sure what was going on, it didn't look consensual, but when I searched the information was they can't hurt each other. I eventually put the new one in a different tank.

Then last week I found the new one on the floor! I put her (wasn't real certain it was a her until last night) in my little tank I put spare plants and she recuperated. She was seen out of the water near the top yesterday, I have a glass sheet or she probably would have crawled out again.

I lowered the water level to give her a little room and this is what I have today!

Any suggestions on how to get the eggs to successfully hatch? Is there a temp requirement? Should I mist them? The egg sack was as big as the snail!

Attachments

• IMG_20220103_112325320_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220103_112325320_HDR.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 46
They should be kept moist but not soaked... Im not experienced with mystery snails but I have heard to keep the eggs wet

What size tank is the clutch in?

No need to do anything special for them to hatch, keep them above water, and the lid closed, for proper humidity levels.
when the babies go out of the shell they just go on down to the tank

I recently got a second mystery snail, which my current one immediately latched on to. Wasn't sure what was going on, it didn't look consensual,
LOL :)

Just leave the eggs where they are. The snails lay them out of water in a humid environment so fish can't eat them. In a few weeks the eggs hatch and the baby snails fall into the water.

What size tank is the clutch in?

No need to do anything special for them to hatch, keep them above water, and the lid closed, for proper humidity levels.
It's at the top of my 2.5 spare "tank" I put spare plants in and keep set up for emergencies.

"Buttercup" was found on the floor after she crawled out of the tank she shares with a betta. I put her in the emergency tank and she recovered. It has a glass sheet that can cover the whole top.

She pooped, ate an algae wafer, and went back up to the top, out of the water. I had suspicions and lowered the water level a little more. A few hours later the pink blob appeared. The next day she was back in the tank, I put her back in with the betta and gave her another piece of wafer.

I was worried that her falling on the floor injured her. I hope the eggs hatch. "Dad" is a blue mystery snail, she is pretty and yellow.

It's at the top of my 2.5 spare "tank" I put spare plants in and keep set up for emergencies.

"Buttercup" was found on the floor after she crawled out of the tank she shares with a betta. I put her in the emergency tank and she recovered. It has a glass sheet that can cover the whole top.

She pooped, ate an algae wafer, and went back up to the top, out of the water. I had suspicions and lowered the water level a little more. A few hours later the pink blob appeared. The next day she was back in the tank, I put her back in with the betta and gave her another piece of wafer.

I was worried that her falling on the floor injured her. I hope the eggs hatch. "Dad" is a blue mystery snail, she is pretty and yellow.
Blue+yellow makes green 😂

Unfortunately, this tank size is much too small to raise the young mystery snails...as they grow, their shells will leach calcium ions from the water column, likely leading to a ph crash...been there, done that

Short term should be fine, but make plans to move them, or sell them

Unfortunately, this tank size is much too small to raise the young mystery snails...as they grow, their shells will leach calcium ions from the water column, likely leading to a ph crash...been there, done that

wait... You said a PH crash? My KH and PH are very high... so logically, I could have some snails and shrimps that would decrease kh and ph correct? Or am I just fantasizing about giving fish better params

Don't use critters to manipulate your source water...pick fish that are suited for it, instead ;)

Oh I am. I have some large basins I can use to raise some. I was warned by a friend about how many I'm going to have.

Can the hatchlings be fed to fish? I like to feed my fish live food as much as I can.

I'll ask around at the stores to see if they will take some. I don't have the room to keep very many to maturity. I do enjoy watching them though.

I also thought of chopping the egg sack in have so I'm not overrun. Will fish eat the eggs?

You don't need to kill the eggs, not all of the babies survive and if there are fish in the tank, they will probably eat a few of the baby snails too.

Just see how this first batch goes and if you do start getting overpopulated with them, then sell more or remove the egg clusters.

Most reactions

Back