If I Put Sand In My Tank

daniel_2kaii9

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 29, 2009
Messages
198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
hey, if i put sand in my tank how long shall i wait untill i put the fish in how long shall i leave it running ?
thanks :)
 
I recently rescaped my tank and bought 20kgs of Unipac sand.

After 2 hours of washing and movement i placed it in the tank and wasnt very careful with how i threw water in, after about 2 and a half days i could see the back of my time but im sure if i was more careful and pooured water into a glass container inside the tank first etc it wouldnt have been shorter.
 
When I put sand in my tank, it was clear enough fro fish in about 4 hours.

I did, however, once it was filled, I siphoned some water out which would remove the sand floating around, and then filled it back up. I did this A LOT! This cleared it up a lot faster!

-FHM
 
The fish aren't bothered by the silt, so whenever.
It's just not a good idea to have your filter running with all the debris/sand floating in the water. And you would need to filter running if there were fish in the tank.

The sand will easily ruin the impeller in the filter, which I have experienced first hand!

So, try to get the tank cleared up as much as possible.

-FHM
 
Wash the sand
Put it in the tank
Fill tank with water
Wait approx 2 days
Turn filter on
Make sure filter is cycled
Add fish


:)
 
so just wait till the water is clear yeah?
It will take a couple of days for the water to clear to 100%. But, it should clear a lot within 4 hours, IF, you pour the water in slowly and do not try to disturb the substrate too much. Just don't put the fish in right away, because that means you will have to put the filer in, and the sand could wreck your impeller in your filter.

-FHM
 
I've always put them in the same day.
First time I washed the sand really well and filled it carefully (hosepipe into plastic bag) and popped the fish straight back in.
This last time I didn't wash the sand so well and it's taken longer to get the water nice and clear but the fish haven't been bothered at all.
A "pop sock" or filter bag over the filter intake stops any sand getting in there while still filtering the ammonia, nitrites, etc.
 
I've always put them in the same day.
First time I washed the sand really well and filled it carefully (hosepipe into plastic bag) and popped the fish straight back in.
This last time I didn't wash the sand so well and it's taken longer to get the water nice and clear but the fish haven't been bothered at all.
A "pop sock" or filter bag over the filter intake stops any sand getting in there while still filtering the ammonia, nitrites, etc.
Yeah, I guess that is a good idea. Put something over the inlet of the filter. Unfortunately, at the time, I did not do this and the filter impeller did not fair to well. :lol:

Yeah, like you said, the fish will not be bothered by this at all, I was just a little worried about the filter.

-FHM
 
You're more than likely going to need a filter.
Bacteria colonise the filter.
the first kind convert ammonia to nitrites and the second kind convert nitrites to nitrates, which you then remove by doing water changes.

How big is this tank? What livestock are going to be in there?
If it's a heavily planted tank you may get away without a filter as the plants will use (after breaking down and converting, etc) the ammonia, nitrites and even nitrates.
 
i havent got a filter i got a pump
There are still moving parts within the pump, which the sand can come on contact with.

Put some sort of filter over the inlet of your pump to ensure the sand dose not get in there.

-FHM
 
its going 2 be a 4ft tank when i can get 1 the fish will be neons,sailfin mollys,Lyra-tailed mollys,balloon mollys,guppys,swordtails,platys,redtail shark,danios,corydoras ill have a few plants in there but it wont be a planted tank
 
i havent got a filter i got a pump
Is it a sump?

Like JustKia said, you need some sort of filter.

A filter/filter media where water will flow through, is going to be where you beneficial bacteria colonize.

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top