plantbabby

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
It wasn't hard to tell their gender when I first got them, but I want to know: are they feeder or Fancy guppies? I got them for free because they were older fry.

They are rather plain looking, save for the male (and he sometimes has a black oval on each of his sides), and one female has only just started to develop the tiniest bit of color near the base of her tail fin, which I couldn't get a good picture where it shows, but it looks like the same color on the other female.

From Left to Right:
Male has orange spots (occasional black ovals) and sword/lyre-like streaks on the top and bottom of (round) tail fin
1st Female has dullish greenish coloring with a possibly silverish tail with black spots
2nd Female is almost complete devoid of any color, with possibility of developing like the other female.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 191
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 186
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 192
Your little male looks like an Endler/guppy hybrid (very common in the trade and hobby).

It's not really possible to describe or identify them more than that; you'd need to know how they were bred and what the parents were, as the variety of fish depends on the parents.

It's a bit like dogs; you might find a dog that looks like a pedigree Labrador in a shelter, but if you don't know what it parents were, you can't call is a pedigree. It must just be a mongrel that happens to look like a Labrador
smile.png

fluttermoth said:
Your little male looks like an Endler/guppy hybrid (very common in the trade and hobby).

It's not really possible to describe or identify them more than that; you'd need to know how they were bred and what the parents were, as the variety of fish depends on the parents.

It's a bit like dogs; you might find a dog that looks like a pedigree Labrador in a shelter, but if you don't know what it parents were, you can't call is a pedigree. It must just be a mongrel that happens to look like a Labrador
smile.png
Thanks! I was literally just reading an article about breeding endler males with female guppies! Lol.

From now on, I think I'm going to get fish from a better breeder or a site like liveaquaria next time. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back