FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PrachiGupta

Reaction score
Hi 2 months back i was given a bowl around 12 inches with 5g of waters with 2 blue fishes and 2 mollies. Lately i am been fascinated with this hobby and want to go for a bigger tank like 30g. As a beginner i found these blue fishes really cute and active. So wanto have a school of them. So please help to identify if this fish is demasoni cichlid or pseudotropheus saulosi (So far able to know these 2 fishes which closely resembles mine :D :) ). Also tell how the female looks like is it light blue or is it yellow in color.Have uploaded 2 pics of the fishes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks , GBU :) FISH.JPG

Hello and welcome. I believe what you have is a saulosi (the 2nd option you gave) . Few things, if it is a saulosi, males are blue and females are yellow. I only see one photo uploaded so I just went off of that photo. They should not be kept with Mollies. They are not community tropical fish that can thrive with a molly. I am concerned they are in a bowl. Does it have a filter? 5 gallons is obviously way too small for these fish so I'm glad you're looking to get a bigger tank. You can have a few of them in a 30 gallon but keep in mind cichlids in general get territorial.
First things first, I'd suggest getting a water test kit. API makes a good test kit called the master test kit. It would be helpful to know your water parameters. A larger tank will still take a while to cycle completely before fish can be added unless you purchase a product a lot on this forum recommend called Dr. Tims One and Only. I'm afraid your situation is a little bit of a mess but we will try and help! I'll see if someone can give a second opinion on the species of fish and please let us know how their current Residence is set up and if you have water parameters.

completely agree with amtotheburr the mollies will get killed/eaten by the cichlid(s) if nothing is done

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back