Identify my algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@ombomb

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I am currently battling a rather unpleasant algae outbbreak in my tank and am hoping that you can help identify the culprit. I did call it "Hair Algae" but am starting to doubt that.

The algae is forming on the leaves of plants (mainly the valis) and is growing into long wispy, dark green tentacles which break off really easily. I have been clearing up the tank every other day and doing 25 - 30% water changes, but as much of this **** as I remove, it keeps growing back. Apparently yesterday, after a water change the previous night, the water had gone cloudy. The plants were still pearling away though and the water had cleared up by the time I got in from work.

I think the problem was initially cause by a combination of a drop in CO2 levels and over feeding for the best part of a week.

I have read through the pinned article on algae, do you think this could be Cyanobacteria?

I was planning to just buy more fast growing plants, but should I be looking at treating with a black out / macaryn? How will my other plants (Amazon swords, Amazon Frogbit, Riccia, Vallis, Hygros, Java Fern) cope without light for that period?

the best way I can describe bga is that its like a film or slime that coats everything.

To me, it doesn't sound like yours is bga. Got any pictures?

i've never managed to find the name for it but i have the same algae as you describe.

it is 100% not BGA, that is like a slimey thick film of gunk. this stuff we have is more like a thin, delecate version of blanketweed (you get in ponds)

what are your nitrAtes vs phosphates. i have very low nitrate and assume this is the cause (co2 is at 30PPM)

i'm assuming your co2 is at 30, if not this will also be a cause

nitrate should be at least 10x as much as phosphate ie

phos=1 nitrate should be at least 10, any lower and it's out of balance and algae will thrive over plants.

Yep after some more reading, it's 100% NOT BGA (phew!). Looking through the pics the closest thing I can see to it is Thread Algae, although I don't think it's the exact same type as I have seen on the net.

I have no idea what my phosphate level is I'm afraid, but should pick up a test kit this weekend. I have also read that an excess of iron could be contributing to the problem, what are your thoughts?

CO2 is normally fairly stable at around 25, but my Nitrates are normally 20ppm which doesn't seem very low.

I think I'll go with the current plan of adding some more plants, will cut back on the Micro Nutrients, test the water for Phosphates / Iron and will have a look for some Otos / Amano shrimp which according to this site will eat the algae.

***EDIT***

SAEs were on there but are probably a bit big, 4 Otos are looking likely at the moment.

it may be your phosphate, if it's over 2 then theres your answer.

my phosphate is 0.05 nitrate 2 so i know what my problem is.

it's unlikely to be iron, i know in my tank iron is always low, if i fertalise to optimum, by the next evening it's back to 0. more likely to be phosphate IMO.

heres a pic with some of my algae in it (sorry i generally try to take pics without algae in so dont have any good ones to hand)

look to the bottom left corner, theres a trumpet snail in the middle of the "clump"

is this what you have. (it also collects in the branches of ludwiga at the surface and along the structured background at the top)

tom3.jpg

phosphate tests aren't cheap, mine is made by D-D labs and cost about £20-25, it's well worth it though. when i first tested mine was WAY off the scale something like 20 where it's supposed to be 1-2. now it hardly registers.

hope that helps

Cheers Jim, that looks like the stuff to me.

Assuming the Phosphates are to blame, water changes are the way forward right?

Stupid question though...

If the phosphate are to blame... why do you still have a problem with this stuff?

Do your Otos eat it?

If not, shrimps have been promoted up the list!

yep water changes and a good gravel vac (phosphate comes from rotting stuff ie food, poo, dead fish, leaves etc..)

it's not the phosphate in particular more the balance in the tank.

ideally the relationship of phosphate to nitrAtre is 10-20:1

ie if phos is 1, nitrate needs to be 10-20

mine is 0.05 (too low for plants anyway, optimum= 1-2) the balance is off as the nitrAte is also too low being 2 rather than 10

both nutrients are way too low in my tank, as i haven't got any nitrate fertaliser i cant do anything about it (not for long though, Zigs come to my rescue and sending me some)

what you want ideally is phosphate 1-2 and NitrAte 10-20.

that is the optimum levels for plant growth. reduce or increace one and the balance is out and algae will outperform plants.

you may also want to get a low range nitrAte kit. i thought mine was 12.5 when i used the tetra kit (scale is 0,12.5, 20, 50, 100) when i bought a low range kit (scale 0,1,2.5,5,10 i think) it's a firm 2. checked and double checked and it's definatly 2.

i wouldn't personally buy fish to deal with the problem. fix it first, then buy them if you still want them. the fish wont deal with the cause and after all if the phosphate is the problem then an otto eating all the algae then crapping it out is not going to help. the poo and dead algae will decompose to produce.......more phosphate.

Good point, I'll get the kits and go from there. Do your Otos pay any attention to this stuff though? My BN Plec ignores it completely.

Kent Botanics do a Nitrate treatment called Nitro+ if you are looking for something to up the levels in your tank.

nothing eats it apart from my angel and rainbow if i starve them for 2 days :sick:

the angel is the worst, she swims about with a big clump hanging from her mouth and merrily chomps away at it. problem is it comes straight out the other end and looks exactly the same just a little compact :lol:

funny you should mention nitro+, what a load of rubbish. i bought some last weekend, used about 1/2 the bottle already and still at 2. thanks for the tip though.
it must be pretty diluted, doesn't even touch the sides.

fully fledged dry powder ferts needed for me i'm afraid.

I think it's nearly pure Nitrates...

...hungray plants Jim!

Pic of the algea.

Poort quality due to camera phone.

***EDIT***

Won't seem to let me attach the file so...

Photo-0025.jpg

To me it looks like bba or black beard algae, but hard to tell, what colour is it, is it the same colour as in the pic?

Although i have not seen the filiments get that long before, is it mainly growing on the edges of the plant leaves, and do you notice it growing anywhere else, like on the glass or any of the equipment? it usually grows in little tufts.

But its very nice :D

i have black beard hair algae i think! how do u get rid of it?

Almost completely on the leaves, and the colour is about right in the photo, a dark greyish green.

its very nice

It's not! I want rid of it!

I have just tested my Nitrates again and the reading is still showing around the 20 mark. I've added some Nitro+ and will attempt to maintain Nitrate levels around 30. Off to the fish shop in a few minutes for some fast growers, Phosphate test kit and maybe (depending on what they have in) an American Flag fish or two to try and help combat the problem. They're not big enough to really tip the biological load on the tank one way or another and should clear off the algae as it grows while bring the phosphates down.

i have black beard hair algae i think! how do u get rid of it?

From the help jimboo has given me and some other reading, it seems that there is no "Cure" other than getting the tank balanced again. Personally I am aiming for:

C02: 30ppm (not easy with my water / DIY CO2)
Nitrate: 30ppm
Phospate 2-3pm (although I am currently cunsure what my levels are, I'm assuming they're currently above that)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back